Posted to rec.woodworking

Default OT? Size of fence gate?

Hello,

I've been planning on building a 16 foot section of fence on the side of the
house and want to add in a gate for access to the back yard. Originally, I
was going to put in a 3 ft. gate, which would mean that the fence sections
would need to be 6 1/2 ft. each.

Is it feasible to build 6 ft. fence sections along with a 4 ft. gate, or is
that too large in relation to the overall 16 ft. fence span?

Thanks in advance to those who post a reply to the group.

Peter.

Posted to rec.woodworking

The result would be stronger if the remaining space was equally
divided as you propose.

On Tue, 05 Sep 2006 13:36:17 GMT, "Peter Bogiatzidis"
wrote:

Hello,

I've been planning on building a 16 foot section of fence on the side of the
house and want to add in a gate for access to the back yard. Originally, I
was going to put in a 3 ft. gate, which would mean that the fence sections
would need to be 6 1/2 ft. each.

Is it feasible to build 6 ft. fence sections along with a 4 ft. gate, or is
that too large in relation to the overall 16 ft. fence span?

Thanks in advance to those who post a reply to the group.

Peter.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 05 Sep 2006 13:36:17 GMT, "Peter Bogiatzidis" wrote:

Hello,

I've been planning on building a 16 foot section of fence on the side of the
house and want to add in a gate for access to the back yard. Originally, I
was going to put in a 3 ft. gate, which would mean that the fence sections
would need to be 6 1/2 ft. each.

Is it feasible to build 6 ft. fence sections along with a 4 ft. gate, or is
that too large in relation to the overall 16 ft. fence span?

Thanks in advance to those who post a reply to the group.

Peter.

Peter.. decide what you're going to be moving in and out first..

When we replaced our fences and gates, we sort of did a neighborhood survey and
asked folks what they might do different if they were putting their fences in
again.. most said gate size!

We had planned on a 4' gate but went with two 3' fences instead, with one locked
with a gate pin into the ground and the other one latching on it..
A 3' opening if fine for people and swings easier than a 4', and we just open
the 2nd gate if we need space for furniture, patio tables, etc..

Remember in your planning that 4' between 4x4's is the recommended maximum... If
you need 6' sections on each side of the gate, you could make the posts 3'
apart...
Unless you're buying 4' fence sections at the BORG... *g*

Mac

https://home.comcast.net/~mac.davis