Posted to rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.woodturning

Default New lathe.. and I actually TURNED something

I finally got the lathe spinning this weekend.. after looking into much of
the advice offered both here and in rec.crafts.woodturning

I've been knocking out some pens.. (European Roundtops, just to start) and I
have to say, alot of fun to make. will try some mech. pencils tomorrow, make
some pairs to box up and sell as stocking stuffers, etc, if the market
allows.

My favorite is the one in Bloodwood.. with the maple being my first one..
(didn't want to risk ruining an EXPENSIVE piece of wood!)

http://ottawawood.com/pens/lathe.jpg
http://ottawawood.com/pens/4pens.jpg

Mike
www.ottawawood.com

Posted to rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.woodturning

Way to go Mike! Keep on turning!
______
God bless and safe turning
Darrell Feltmate
Truro, NS, Canada
www.aroundthewoods.com
"Mike Mac" wrote in message
I finally got the lathe spinning this weekend.. after looking into much of
the advice offered both here and in rec.crafts.woodturning

I've been knocking out some pens.. (European Roundtops, just to start) and

have to say, alot of fun to make. will try some mech. pencils tomorrow,

make
some pairs to box up and sell as stocking stuffers, etc, if the market
allows.

My favorite is the one in Bloodwood.. with the maple being my first one..
(didn't want to risk ruining an EXPENSIVE piece of wood!)

http://ottawawood.com/pens/lathe.jpg
http://ottawawood.com/pens/4pens.jpg

Mike
www.ottawawood.com

Posted to rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.woodturning

"Darrell Feltmate" wrote in
news03Lg.8461$Hr1.6848@clgrps12:

"Mike Mac" wrote in message
I finally got the lathe spinning this weekend.. after looking into
much of the advice offered both here and in rec.crafts.woodturning

Very nice. You may want to look at www.penturners.org to see what others
that have caught the pen bug are doing. They have great technical help and
lots of support.

I found that a mixture of equal parts of BLO, shellac and denatured alchol
give my pens a fine finish that is durable. This is similar to the Hut
clear coat, but lots less expensive. Keep'em turning

Karl

I've been knocking out some pens.. (European Roundtops, just to
start) and

have to say, alot of fun to make. will try some mech. pencils
tomorrow,

make
some pairs to box up and sell as stocking stuffers, etc, if the
market allows.

My favorite is the one in Bloodwood.. with the maple being my first
one.. (didn't want to risk ruining an EXPENSIVE piece of wood!)

http://ottawawood.com/pens/lathe.jpg
http://ottawawood.com/pens/4pens.jpg

Mike
www.ottawawood.com

Posted to rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.woodturning

welcome to the addiction - for pens, if you like exotic woods, my favorite
was canary wood, turned cross grain so it woudl shimmer - I don't think
blood wood will do that, canary is particularly spectacular for that effect
(chatoyance?)
happy turning