Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Maybe someones done it?

I dont know,but I've never seen a router table with a fliptop work area ie
for adjustments,cleaning of the router, ect.
You'd unlock it and flip the work table top over a complete 180 degrees.

This fliptop can be locked in place when its going to be used.

Anyone know of one thats been done like this?
Its me back you see sometimes it locks up bending down.

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to rec.woodworking
CW CW is offline

Don't recall who it is but someone currently makes one something like that.
It doesn't flip completely over but goes up to about 45 degrees and locks
there. Quite the handy feature. Wish I'd remembered it last table I built.

"The3rd Earl Of Derby" wrote in message
. uk...
I dont know,but I've never seen a router table with a fliptop work area ie
for adjustments,cleaning of the router, ect.
You'd unlock it and flip the work table top over a complete 180 degrees.

This fliptop can be locked in place when its going to be used.

Anyone know of one thats been done like this?
Its me back you see sometimes it locks up bending down.

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to rec.woodworking

CW wrote:
Don't recall who it is but someone currently makes one something like
that. It doesn't flip completely over but goes up to about 45 degrees
and locks there. Quite the handy feature. Wish I'd remembered it last
table I built.

Yeah, I know there's the router raiser and and spanner for unlocking the
collet shaft nut,but you still have to stoop/bend down to adjust the
routers height.
Whereas a 45 degrees flip and the height can be ajusted at normal standing
position.

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to rec.woodworking
CW CW is offline

That's what I meant. The top lifts up to a 45 degree angle allowing you
access to the router. No bending required.
Now, If I could remember who it was that made it...

"The3rd Earl Of Derby" wrote in message
. uk...
Whereas a 45 degrees flip and the height can be ajusted at normal standing
position.

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to rec.woodworking

I dont know,but I've never seen a router table with a fliptop work area ie
for adjustments,cleaning of the router, ect.
You'd unlock it and flip the work table top over a complete 180 degrees.

This fliptop can be locked in place when its going to be used.

Anyone know of one thats been done like this?
Its me back you see sometimes it locks up bending down.

Sir Ben,

Mine doesn't flip 180 degrees, but I built the whole top with hinges on the
back, so I can lift up the top like the one MikeG showed us.

The top is really heavy with the router installed, and mine isn't 100lbs of
cast iron, either. In my case if I lift too high the whole thing wants to
tip backwards, so I have to be careful. I did it this way because I didn't
have an insert plate when I first built it; the router was bolted right to
the top. It was enough to get by. Mine is thick plywood, though, so maybe
a thinner metal top like Lee Valley's would work better than mine. Mine was
made from scrap so it was a lot cheaper.

Eventually I bought a Lee Valley insert plate and cam lifter. I use that
more often than lifting up the whole top. When it's in the top like that
you kind of have to reach a bit to work on the router, and unless you can
flip it high enough to clear the frame of your table, you have other
obstacles to reach past.

Maybe popping out the router like the Rosenthals do is still the simplest
option for someone in your situation. Sorry about your back.

- Owen -

Posted to rec.woodworking

"MikeG" wrote in
ink.net:

http://www.mlcswoodworking.com/shops...html/pages/rou
tabl2.html#heavyweight_table_anchor

Looking at that site reminded me of the last woodworking show I attended. I
saw some very impressive router tables but the stands were miserable. The
legs were thin, flimsy, and cheaply made. One was so bad than I bent the leg
by hand. I easily straigtened it. I asked a few vendors if they had a
better stand and all said "no". After a while one could see that the
majority of the stands were made by one company.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"R. Pierce Butler" wrote in message
. 1...
"MikeG" wrote in
ink.net:

http://www.mlcswoodworking.com/shops...html/pages/rou
tabl2.html#heavyweight_table_anchor

Looking at that site reminded me of the last woodworking show I attended.
saw some very impressive router tables but the stands were miserable. The
legs were thin, flimsy, and cheaply made. One was so bad than I bent the
leg
by hand. I easily straigtened it. I asked a few vendors if they had a
better stand and all said "no". After a while one could see that the
majority of the stands were made by one company.

I looked at the table and read the discussion and found even more
post-decision support for buying my shaper! For the tasks that really need
heavy duty tables and power I think the shaper is better suited. For lighter
tasks my table top PC router table suffices. Your mileage may vary! ;~)

John

Posted to rec.woodworking

"John Grossbohlin" wrote in
.net:

http://www.mlcswoodworking.com/shops...rthtml/pages/r
ou tabl2.html#heavyweight_table_anchor

Looking at that site reminded me of the last woodworking show I
attended. I
saw some very impressive router tables but the stands were miserable.
The legs were thin, flimsy, and cheaply made. One was so bad than I
bent the leg
by hand. I easily straigtened it. I asked a few vendors if they had a
better stand and all said "no". After a while one could see that the
majority of the stands were made by one company.

I looked at the table and read the discussion and found even more
post-decision support for buying my shaper! For the tasks that really
need heavy duty tables and power I think the shaper is better suited.
For lighter tasks my table top PC router table suffices. Your mileage
may vary! ;~)

John

A shaper is nice and if you have the room and money for it. go for it!

I have had a router table for a while now and there are times when I wish I
had a shaper.
Posted to rec.woodworking

The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:
I dont know,but I've never seen a router table with a fliptop work area ie
for adjustments,cleaning of the router, ect.
You'd unlock it and flip the work table top over a complete 180 degrees.

This fliptop can be locked in place when its going to be used.

Anyone know of one thats been done like this?
Its me back you see sometimes it locks up bending down.

Wood Magazine had the plans for a table just like your wanting several
years ago. The table lifted to about 45 degrees for bit changes and
hight adjustment.
First one:
http://store.woodstore.net/tilrouttab.html
Second one:
http://store.woodstore.net/lifrouttoolt.html
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 03 Sep 2006 05:28:15 GMT, in rec.woodworking, "The3rd Earl Of
Derby" wrote:

I dont know,but I've never seen a router table with a fliptop work area ie
for adjustments,cleaning of the router, ect.
You'd unlock it and flip the work table top over a complete 180 degrees.

Although it's not a 180 degree flip-top, the Charnwood WO15 has a cast
iron table which tilts up at the front to 45 degrees to allow access
to the router below the table. This may be the one CW was thinking of.
In the words of the manufacturer:

-------
To give easy access to the router when changing settings the whole
table top is hinged and supported by gas filled struts to counteract
the heavy weight of the cast iron top.
-------

See http://charnwood.net/ProductDesc.jsp...&stockref=W015 and
http://www.poolewood.co.uk/acatalog/...ood_W013K.html

Forrest

--
Forrest Anderson
Edinburgh
Posted to rec.woodworking

Derby" wrote:

I dont know,but I've never seen a router table with a fliptop work area ie
for adjustments,cleaning of the router, ect.
You'd unlock it and flip the work table top over a complete 180 degrees.

Although it's not a 180 degree flip-top, the Charnwood WO15 has a cast
iron table which tilts up at the front to 45 degrees to allow access
to the router below the table. This may be the one CW was thinking of.

Looks like the Grizzly G0528 with different color paint:

http://www.grizzly.com/products/g0528

I don't know what "adjustments" you plan on doing with the table
either at an angle or flipped over. When you're setting bit height
you generally have the stock on the table and you need to get your eye
level with the bit.

-Leuf
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 03 Sep 2006 05:28:15 GMT, "The3rd Earl Of Derby"
wrote:

I dont know,but I've never seen a router table with a fliptop work area ie
for adjustments,cleaning of the router, ect.
You'd unlock it and flip the work table top over a complete 180 degrees.

This fliptop can be locked in place when its going to be used.

Anyone know of one thats been done like this?
Its me back you see sometimes it locks up bending down.

I'm not understanding why anyone would want to flip the whole table
over. I know, you've said for adjustments (for changing bit height I
assume) or the aformentioned cleaning, but why not have a device for
adjusting the router height from above the table. I believe those are
attached to plates that hang in a rabbet in the table's surface.
While I don't have a router raiser or whatever they're called, I do
have mine attached to an aluminum plate that hangs on a rabbet. When
I need to clean it or change bits, it lifts up very easily.

One of those router raiser things is looking very attractive.