Steve

Default Cost of someone's labour

My mate's 16-year old son is going to do some work for us before he starts
at college. We're going to hire a skip and he's going to do a general garage
tidy-up (and believe me it needs doing )) and clear the area behind the
garage. The biggest job however, will be the front "garden".

The previous owners got rid of the lawn (not very well, I might add), laid
visqueen, and then put on about 2 to 3 tons of pea gravel. We want to get
rid of the pea gravel, level the ground properly, lay landscape fabric and
then put down a couple of tons of 20mm Golden Gravel.

He's a good strong lad and well up for doing the work for us (I can't
because of a back injury) but we haven't got a clue what to pay him, and he
doesn't know what to ask for because he's never done a job like this for
money before. We obviously want to pay him a fair price for his hard graft
so has anyone got any ideas as to what we should be paying him, and should
we say so much per hour or give him a lump sum for the job?

TIA,

Steve.

Christian McArdle

He's a good strong lad and well up for doing the work for us (I can't
because of a back injury) but we haven't got a clue what to pay him, and

he
doesn't know what to ask for because he's never done a job like this for
money before. We obviously want to pay him a fair price for his hard graft
so has anyone got any ideas as to what we should be paying him, and should
we say so much per hour or give him a lump sum for the job?

6-7 pounds an hour if he won't name his own price.

Christian.

Steve

"Steve" wrote in message
[...]

I should have said that this is in Blackburn, Lancashire, where the cost of
living is a lot less than London or the south - I know the north-south
divide does really exist )

Andy Hall

On Tue, 2 Aug 2005 11:18:13 +0100, "Steve" wrote:

[...]

I would have thought something in the £100 a day region would be
reasonable or perhaps £700 or so for the whole job.

It would cost you more than these figures to "get a man in" but OTOH,
this sort of sum is a nice chunk of change for a 16 year old.

It's hard to be more specific without knowing the size of garage etc
and how bad it is.

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
John Cartmell

In article ,
Steve wrote:

"Steve" wrote in message
[...]

A friend of mine* did similar work every Saturday at that age and received the
princely sum of one crown (5/- or 25p) for about 4 hours work. That too was in
Blackburn - but the cost of living may have gone up slightly since the late
60s. ;-)

ben

Andy Hall wrote:
[...]

pmsl, I'd be out of work in no time asking for that daily amount.

£50 a day is about right.

Mary Fisher

"Steve" wrote in message

"Steve" wrote in message
[...]

It does, but if he's worthy of his hire he should have at least the legal
minimum hourly rate for his age.

How much it costs him to live is irrelevant, you're paying for the job you
want doing, not for his living costs. And goodwill is valuable - even in
Lancashire :-)

Mary
in Leeds.

Grunff

ben wrote:

pmsl, I'd be out of work in no time asking for that daily amount.

£50 a day is about right.

When we had plasterers in (very good ones), the plasteres charged £150 a
day each, and they had a 16 year old apprentice acting as a general
labourer who charged £70 a day. I thought these were very reasonable
(read cheap) rates (Devon).

--
Grunff

ben

Grunff wrote:
ben wrote:

pmsl, I'd be out of work in no time asking for that daily amount.

£50 a day is about right.

When we had plasterers in (very good ones), the plasteres charged
£150 a day each, and they had a 16 year old apprentice acting as a
general labourer who charged £70 a day. I thought these were very
reasonable (read cheap) rates (Devon).

Thats Plasteres though, not General labouring. A 'good' plasterer is worth
his weight in gold.
Also they're labourer is part'n'partial of the team so what the plasterer
ask is irrelevent to what his labourer does.(does the mix and cleans up the
mess is not hard work). :-)

Mary Fisher

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
. net...

It does, but if he's worthy of his hire he should have at least the legal
minimum hourly rate for his age.

I've just looked that up, it's £3 an hour for a 16 - 17 year olf, a review
is urged but won't be applicable until October 2006 I believe.

This is disgraceful. A good lad, doing an adult's job, should have an
adult's pay. £5 an hour minimum is what I'd pay.

And I have done - to our grandsons, three years ago. And they had good meals
too. We wouldn't want to exploit anyone.

As someone else said, if you don't think he's worth that get a man in. I
think it's worth encouraging the lad - and making sure that he does a good
job. It might also be an idea to pay some of it into a savings account if he
has one, or open one for him.

It must also be borne in mind that what he's paid for this job could become
the level he'll ask others for. You wouldn't want him to be ripped off in
the future. If he does a good job it should be respected - you could suggest
a 'penalty clause' - but be fair about it.

Mary

Grunff

ben wrote:

Thats Plasteres though, not General labouring. A 'good' plasterer is worth
his weight in gold.

Yes, I appreciate that - I was referring to what their labourer, who by
their admission was totally new to this and as yet unskilled, was paid.

Also they're labourer is part'n'partial of the team so what the plasterer
ask is irrelevent to what his labourer does.(does the mix and cleans up the
mess is not hard work). :-)

This is exactly what he did - mixing and cleaning.

--
Grunff
ben

Steve wrote:
"Rob Morley" wrote in message
t...
In article , "Steve"
says...
[...]

I reckon minimum £5/hr. Does the job include the levelling and
laying, or just clearing?

Wow, that got a fair amount of replies quite quickly )

Thanks to all who've replied. I think we'll probably try for the £7
per hour or about £50-£60 per day mark - that seems quite reasonable
and if someone was paying me to do it, I'd be happy with that.

Cheers all,

Steve.

Steve.

Yeah, and dont forget his tea breaks and dinner, goes without saying really.
:-)

Mary Fisher

"Steve" wrote in message

Thanks to all who've replied. I think we'll probably try for the £7 per
hour or about £50-£60 per day mark - that seems quite reasonable and if
someone was paying me to do it, I'd be happy with that.

Good man!

Mary

Adrian C

ben wrote:
Thanks to all who've replied. I think we'll probably try for the £7
per hour or about £50-£60 per day mark - that seems quite reasonable
and if someone was paying me to do it, I'd be happy with that.

Yeah, and dont forget his tea breaks and dinner, goes without saying really.
:-)

Dinner? Wish my employer fed me after 5.30pm....

Oh, check your house insurance on liability cover for persons working on
your property. There should be something in there.

--
Adrian C
Andy Hall

On Tue, 2 Aug 2005 11:47:57 +0100, Rob Morley
wrote:

In article , "Andy Hall"
says...
[...]

That's a nice chunk of change for me - have you got any work needs
doing?

Go take a look at typical unskilled rates. The OP hadn't said where
it was, but in the home counties this is about it...

Are you sure that it isn't that you wish you were 16 again? ;=)

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Mungo \two sheds\ Toadfoot

Rob Morley wrote:

That's a nice chunk of change for me - have you got any work needs
doing?

You beat me to it. £100 a day? Yes please!

Si

Richard Polhill

"Steve" wrote in
:

My mate's 16-year old son is going to do some work for us before he
starts at college. We're going to hire a skip and he's going to do a
general garage tidy-up (and believe me it needs doing )) and clear
the area behind the garage. The biggest job however, will be the front
"garden".

National minimum wage for 16 year old is £3/hour, however I think a bit
more would pay you in goodwill. £4-£5/hour?

Then (bearing in mund this is a teenager) I think you'd be better setting a
piece rate per job. Say, you expect the front garden to take 3 days at 8
hours/day, then offer 3x8x£4.50=£108 to do it. If he then works his nuts
off to get it done in two days, it's to his advantage, whereas if he farts
about for 7 days it'll not cost you £252.

If you can see just reason for genuine delays then you can still give a
bonus.

You can break the overall work down into, say, 4 seperate jobs.

Personally I think it's nicer to get paid for what you do rather than the
time you spend doing it.

Rich

Andy Hall

On Tue, 2 Aug 2005 12:27:26 +0100, "Mungo \"two sheds\" Toadfoot"
wrote:

Rob Morley wrote:

That's a nice chunk of change for me - have you got any work needs
doing?

You beat me to it. £100 a day? Yes please!

Si

I didn't say how long the day was....

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Owain

Adrian C wrote:
ben wrote:
Thanks to all who've replied. I think we'll probably try for the £7
per hour or about £50-£60 per day mark

Yeah, and dont forget his tea breaks and dinner, goes without saying
really.

Dinner? Wish my employer fed me after 5.30pm....

Free dinner may be an inexpensive way of making sure he stays for the
full day.

Oh, check your house insurance on liability cover for persons working on
your property. There should be something in there.

As the work is going to be done under the OP's direction and the
contract is personal to the labourer, it's almost certainly a contract
of employment. That means the OP will need employer's liability
insurance, will need to provide payslips and make a return to the Inland
Revenue, and will be responsible for providing personal protective
equipment and enforcing health and safety rules in the workplace.

Owain

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Steve wrote:
He's a good strong lad and well up for doing the work for us (I can't
because of a back injury) but we haven't got a clue what to pay him, and
he doesn't know what to ask for because he's never done a job like this
for money before. We obviously want to pay him a fair price for his
hard graft so has anyone got any ideas as to what we should be paying
him, and should we say so much per hour or give him a lump sum for the
job?

Assuming he's a decent grafter I'd go for the minimum wage - 5 quid an
hour? That's more than he would get as a 16 year old, but well worth it if
he's doing a man's work.

But if he likes to take plenty of breaks, perhaps a fixed sum for the job?

--
*Snowmen fall from Heaven unassembled*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Mary Fisher wrote:
It does, but if he's worthy of his hire he should have at least the
legal minimum hourly rate for his age.

Is there one for a 16 year old?

--
*How about "never"? Is "never" good for you?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Adrian C wrote:
Yeah, and dont forget his tea breaks and dinner, goes without saying really.
:-)

Dinner? Wish my employer fed me after 5.30pm....

You're entitled by law to a second *paid for* meal break if you work for 6
hours from the end of the midday one.

--
*Real women don't have hot flashes, they have power surges.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Mary Fisher

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
Mary Fisher wrote:
It does, but if he's worthy of his hire he should have at least the
legal minimum hourly rate for his age.

Is there one for a 16 year old?

Yes.

http://www.dti.gov.uk/er/nmw/

Mary

news

Steve wrote:
[...]

@ 16 = £30 / day
@ 18 = £40 / day

sliding scale until semi skilled i.e can work unsupervised £40 - £50 / day

imo, natch, and that's a full day - 8 til 5, you buy the chips at dinner time :-)

hth

ben

Rob Morley wrote:
In article , "Andy Hall"
am says...
snip
Are you sure that it isn't that you wish you were 16 again? ;=)

No thanks - 21 maybe :-)

Hah! you had bad case of 'hackney' when you was 16. :-)

ben

news wrote:
Steve wrote:
[...]

I'd tell you to F'off. :-)

news

ben wrote:
news wrote:
Steve wrote:
[...]

(and I'd lamp you one ! )

seriously ? cash in hand ? no skills ? not even aware of thier own worth ?

tsk, kids these days, don't know they're born

Mary Fisher

"news" wrote in message

I'd tell you to F'off. :-)

That kind of response would really endear a potential employer ...

(and I'd lamp you one ! )

seriously ? cash in hand ? no skills ? not even aware of thier own worth ?

tsk, kids these days, don't know they're born

Some should have been drowned at birth.

Mary

news

Mary Fisher wrote:
"news" wrote in message

I'd tell you to F'off. :-)

That kind of response would really endear a potential employer ...

(and I'd lamp you one ! )

seriously ? cash in hand ? no skills ? not even aware of thier own
worth ?

tsk, kids these days, don't know they're born

Some should have been drowned at birth.

some ought not be allowed to birth

ben

Mary Fisher wrote:
"news" wrote in message

I'd tell you to F'off. :-)

That kind of response would really endear a potential employer ...

Only monkeys work for peanuts. I certainly ain't one.

[snip]

Mary

Mungo \two sheds\ Toadfoot

Andy Hall wrote:

You beat me to it. £100 a day? Yes please!

Si

I didn't say how long the day was....

Hmm. Good point. That would have to specified also.

Si

news

ben wrote:
Mary Fisher wrote:
"news" wrote in message

I'd tell you to F'off. :-)

That kind of response would really endear a potential employer ...

Only monkeys work for peanuts.

you are a peanut and I claim my £5

ben

news wrote:
ben wrote:
Mary Fisher wrote:
"news" wrote in message

I'd tell you to F'off. :-)

That kind of response would really endear a potential employer ...

Only monkeys work for peanuts.

you are a peanut and I claim my £5

Here! have a banana instead.

nightjar

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
et...
It does, but if he's worthy of his hire he should have at least the legal
minimum hourly rate for his age.

I've just looked that up, it's £3 an hour for a 16 - 17 year olf, a review
is urged but won't be applicable until October 2006 I believe...

If you are going to apply statutory minima, he also is entitled to a 30
minute break after 4.5 hours work and must have a 12 hour break in any 24
hour period.

Colin Bignell