Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Custom scotia: router or tablesaw?

I need to make a piece of custom scotia molding for under the treads
of our staircase.

I need to match existing trim that is 100+ years old and I have not
been able to find the size in the store.

The dimensions a 3/4 x 1/2"
The lip dimensions are 1/3" on the 1/2" side and 1/8" on the 3/4" side
(these dimensions are different from what I have seen on modern Scotias)

- What is the best way to fabricate and replicate the molding myself?

- If I use a router, what type of bit should I use? cove??
If so, what size.

- Other people have suggested using a tablesaw with the wood at angle to
the blade. If so, how do you decide what angle to use?

Finally what are the advantages and disadvantages of each approach?
Posted to rec.woodworking

"blueman" wrote in message

- What is the best way to fabricate and replicate the molding myself?

- If I use a router, what type of bit should I use? cove??
If so, what size.

- Other people have suggested using a tablesaw with the wood at angle to
the blade. If so, how do you decide what angle to use?

Finally what are the advantages and disadvantages of each approach?

Forget the tablesaw. That can be used for certain cove moldings, but you
have limited radius to work with.

Router in a table or a shaper is the way to go. I would not try a hand held
for a molding I don't know exactly what your piece looks like so I can
only suggest looking at different profiles, maybe even using two if it is
not a constant radius.
Go to http://www.infinitytools.com/products.asp?dept=1014 for starters.
or here http://www.ridgecarbidetool.com/html...illet_cove.htm

Posted to rec.woodworking

"blueman" wrote in message
I need to make a piece of custom scotia molding for under the treads
of our staircase.

I need to match existing trim that is 100+ years old and I have not
been able to find the size in the store.

The dimensions a 3/4 x 1/2"
The lip dimensions are 1/3" on the 1/2" side and 1/8" on the 3/4" side
(these dimensions are different from what I have seen on modern Scotias)

- What is the best way to fabricate and replicate the molding myself?

- If I use a router, what type of bit should I use? cove??
If so, what size.

- Other people have suggested using a tablesaw with the wood at angle to
the blade. If so, how do you decide what angle to use?

Finally what are the advantages and disadvantages of each approach?

This is not the answer but you may find it of some value.

http://www.traditional-building.com/...e/moldings.htm

Lee Valley has a nice selection of core box bits:

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...168,46176&ap=1

Bob S.