Posted to rec.woodworking

Default locked bandsaw bearings

One bandsaw bearing has locked probably because of sawdust.
Any tips how to free it up again?
Cheers T.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 01 Sep 2006 09:41:26 +1000, Tana wrote:

One bandsaw bearing has locked probably because of sawdust.
Any tips how to free it up again?
Cheers T.

Ummm... wheel bearing? motor bearing? Blade guide bearing?

My crystal ball is in the shop, can ya give me a little help here??

Hint.. if it's a blade guide bearing, throw it away and replace it...

Mac

https://home.comcast.net/~mac.davis
Posted to rec.woodworking

I doubt it's caused by sawdust. Most of those type bearing are sealed (but
not watertight) and sawdust - shouldn't be the problem. But you can try
removing it and spray/soak it in some WD40 (or mineral spirits) to clean it
then let it soak in some light weight oil to lubricate. That would be a
temporary fix if it works - so plan on getting a replacement.

In an emergency, I have placed a sealed bearing in an old, small pan, dumped
in enough oil to cover the bearing and then heat the whole works up (warm
only) and let it sit for about 30 min to cool and suck in some oil. Do not
apply to much heat. Some bearings have a plastic disc shield and will
distort if it gets to hot. If that is visibly shot already that means the
bearing heated up and its toast - replace it.

Bob S.

"Tana" wrote in message
u...
One bandsaw bearing has locked probably because of sawdust.
Any tips how to free it up again?
Cheers T.

Posted to rec.woodworking

mac davis wrote:
On Fri, 01 Sep 2006 09:41:26 +1000, Tana wrote:

One bandsaw bearing has locked probably because of sawdust.
Any tips how to free it up again?
Cheers T.

Ummm... wheel bearing? motor bearing? Blade guide bearing?

My crystal ball is in the shop, can ya give me a little help here??

Hint.. if it's a blade guide bearing, throw it away and replace it...

Mac

https://home.comcast.net/~mac.davis

Sorry - blade guide bearing.
I get the message.
Cheers Tana.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Tana wrote:

One bandsaw bearing has locked probably because of sawdust.
Any tips how to free it up again?

Replace it. Bearings are (almost always) easy to find - go to a _real_
bearing supplier, take it along, and they're so highly standardised
you'll probably have one off the shelf in minutes.

Replace it with a better quality one too, with dust shields that work.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 01 Sep 2006 12:40:27 +1000, Tana wrote:

mac davis wrote:
On Fri, 01 Sep 2006 09:41:26 +1000, Tana wrote:

One bandsaw bearing has locked probably because of sawdust.
Any tips how to free it up again?
Cheers T.

Ummm... wheel bearing? motor bearing? Blade guide bearing?

My crystal ball is in the shop, can ya give me a little help here??

Hint.. if it's a blade guide bearing, throw it away and replace it...

Mac

https://home.comcast.net/~mac.davis

Sorry - blade guide bearing.
I get the message.
Cheers Tana.

Tana.. this is going to sound "off the wall", but try taking it off and putting
it back on "backwards"... they're usually the same on each side and reversing it
(I did this when the blade scored mine) also reverses the rotation... might free
it up??

Mac

https://home.comcast.net/~mac.davis
Posted to rec.woodworking

Tana.. this is going to sound "off the wall", but try taking it off and putting
it back on "backwards"... they're usually the same on each side and reversing it
(I did this when the blade scored mine) also reverses the rotation... might free
it up??

Mac

https://home.comcast.net/~mac.davis

Thanks Mac, was worth the try.
I tried the backwards thing and there was a scratchy bit of turn so I'm
soaking in DW40 (as Bobs suggeted earlier) at moment and give another go
later.
Cheers T.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Tana wrote:

Tana.. this is going to sound "off the wall", but try taking it off
and putting
it back on "backwards"... they're usually the same on each side and
reversing it
(I did this when the blade scored mine) also reverses the rotation...
might free
it up??

Mac

https://home.comcast.net/~mac.davis

Thanks Mac, was worth the try.
I tried the backwards thing and there was a scratchy bit of turn so I'm
soaking in DW40 (as Bobs suggeted earlier) at moment and give another go
later.
Cheers T.

Nope that didn't work either.
Down to the tool shop next step.