Tim Wescott

Default Smithy Bearings Again

I posted this question before into a hurricane (as it were) of posts
about the gov'ment and New Orleans; normally I wouldn't be so rude as to
re-post it but I think it got lost in the flood.

So: I have this Smithy 1/3 in 1 machine, and the milling section has
problems with the bearings. They're tapered roller bearings much like
those in RWD car's front end, with a funky nut for adjustment, etc. The
bearings are TIGHT on the spindle, to the point that tightening the nut
won't pull the bearings together. I have no idea of the machine was
this way from the factory or if it got that way (there was an episode of
hot bearings judging from the bluing on the spindle).

In your valued opinion should I:

1. Sand or stone down the spindle diameter until I get a fit that'll
allow me to adjust the bearing with the nut? This would be a hand or
semi-hand operation, so there'd be some loss of precision but (a) it's a
Smithy and (b) it's the top bearing that I'm contemplating messing with.

2. Buy new bearings and see how they fit before I mess with the spindle.

2a. Buy new bearings from someone _other_ than Smithy.

3. See if I can get a new spindle out of Smithy.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Nick Müller

Tim Wescott wrote:

The bearings are TIGHT on the spindle, to the point that tightening the
nut won't pull the bearings together.

Now this is stupid. One bearing has to be tight (OK, not necessarily
with tapered) and the other one has to have a interference fit. Best, if
you just can move it with the hand.

So, I would buy new bearings, see how they fit and hone one seat to make
a snug fit. Shrink (heat and freezer) the other bearing on. I've done
that on my lathe. There were only some 1/1000mm to be removed. I did it
with sanding strips (the ones you get on coils, about 15mm wide) and
oil. 10 strokes, rotate, 10 strokes, rotate, ...

Note, that you get bearings in different tolerance classes. P7 (or P6?)
is for precision machines. But it might be wasted money for your's :-))

Nick
--
Motor Modelle // Engine Models
http://www.motor-manufaktur.de
Don Foreman

On Fri, 16 Sep 2005 09:31:38 -0700, Tim Wescott
wrote:

[...]

Carefully mike the spindle, accurate to .0001 or so if you can.
Compare your measurement to this chart:
http://www.conweb.com/tblefile/bearfta.shtml

If the spindle is in tolerance, buy new bearings. If it's oversize,
new bearings won't help; you'll have to hone the spindle a bit.

Ted Edwards

Don Foreman wrote:
So: I have this Smithy 1/3 in 1 machine, and the milling section has
problems with the bearings.

Carefully mike the spindle, accurate to .0001 or so if you can.
Compare your measurement to this chart:
http://www.conweb.com/tblefile/bearfta.shtml

If the spindle is in tolerance, buy new bearings. If it's oversize,
new bearings won't help; you'll have to hone the spindle a bit.

Which you might well do in the lathe.

BTW, I suspect a lube problem. My Smithy is now over ten years old with
no bearing problems.

Ted

Tim Wescott

Ted Edwards wrote:
Don Foreman wrote:

So: I have this Smithy 1/3 in 1 machine, and the milling section has
problems with the bearings.

Carefully mike the spindle, accurate to .0001 or so if you can.
Compare your measurement to this chart:
http://www.conweb.com/tblefile/bearfta.shtml

If the spindle is in tolerance, buy new bearings. If it's oversize,
new bearings won't help; you'll have to hone the spindle a bit.

Which you might well do in the lathe.

BTW, I suspect a lube problem. My Smithy is now over ten years old with
no bearing problems.

Ted

Certainly some sort of defect. Given the fact that I only use it
occasionally and that there was bluing I think the bearings were
installed way wrong.

Now I just need access to a mike that'll span over an inch and is good
to a few tenths.

Or I just buy new bearings and fit them up...

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services