Tim Wescott

Default Smithy Bearings Again

I posted this question before into a hurricane (as it were) of posts
about the gov'ment and New Orleans; normally I wouldn't be so rude as to
re-post it but I think it got lost in the flood.

So: I have this Smithy 1/3 in 1 machine, and the milling section has
problems with the bearings. They're tapered roller bearings much like
those in RWD car's front end, with a funky nut for adjustment, etc. The
bearings are TIGHT on the spindle, to the point that tightening the nut
won't pull the bearings together. I have no idea of the machine was
this way from the factory or if it got that way (there was an episode of
hot bearings judging from the bluing on the spindle).

In your valued opinion should I:

1. Sand or stone down the spindle diameter until I get a fit that'll
allow me to adjust the bearing with the nut? This would be a hand or
semi-hand operation, so there'd be some loss of precision but (a) it's a
Smithy and (b) it's the top bearing that I'm contemplating messing with.

2. Buy new bearings and see how they fit before I mess with the spindle.

2a. Buy new bearings from someone _other_ than Smithy.

3. See if I can get a new spindle out of Smithy.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services