Posted to rec.woodworking

Default door dimensions

Am finishing garage shelving..need to put on doors (nice to match rest of
garage but not furniture grade). Woodshop is shaker style, so wanted doors
to match in general.

If the framing is done with hardwood (likely ash) what is the maxim door
dimensions I could use that would not sag or eventually fall out. The
vertical opening varies as does the horizontal opening, but imagine
horizontal openings that span several feet, like 4'.

Need something that looks good and will hold.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Chris Carruth" wrote in message
et...
Am finishing garage shelving..need to put on doors (nice to match rest of
garage but not furniture grade). Woodshop is shaker style, so wanted
doors to match in general.

If the framing is done with hardwood (likely ash) what is the maxim door
dimensions I could use that would not sag or eventually fall out. The
vertical opening varies as does the horizontal opening, but imagine
horizontal openings that span several feet, like 4'.

Need something that looks good and will hold.

Below is a link to shaker style doors. The "Sheldon" is what I would use to
span a large opening. Although, I normally divide large opening in half and
make two smaller doors.
To insure strong doors, avoid "cope and stick" and use full mortise and
tenons.

Dave

http://www.maplecraftusa.com/CabinetDoors/shaker.html

http://www.usenet.com
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Teamcasa" wrote in message

[...]

Thanks Dave...more concerned about the doors sagging due to size..any inputs
from anyone on how much weight ash will hole before the hinge screws start
stripping out..

Posted to rec.woodworking

Thanks Dave...more concerned about the doors sagging due to size..any
inputs
from anyone on how much weight ash will hole before the hinge screws start
stripping out..

I really depends on the hinge size and type. Ash is a good wood and with
large enough hinges, it will hold anything.

What type of hinge did you have in mind?

Dave

http://www.usenet.com