Posted to rec.woodworking
Chris Carruth Chris Carruth is offline

Default door dimensions

"Teamcasa" wrote in message

"Chris Carruth" wrote in message
et...
Am finishing garage shelving..need to put on doors (nice to match rest of
garage but not furniture grade). Woodshop is shaker style, so wanted
doors to match in general.

If the framing is done with hardwood (likely ash) what is the maxim door
dimensions I could use that would not sag or eventually fall out. The
vertical opening varies as does the horizontal opening, but imagine
horizontal openings that span several feet, like 4'.

Need something that looks good and will hold.

Below is a link to shaker style doors. The "Sheldon" is what I would use
to span a large opening. Although, I normally divide large opening in
half and make two smaller doors.
To insure strong doors, avoid "cope and stick" and use full mortise and
tenons.

Dave

http://www.maplecraftusa.com/CabinetDoors/shaker.html

Thanks Dave...more concerned about the doors sagging due to size..any inputs
from anyone on how much weight ash will hole before the hinge screws start
stripping out..