Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Porter-Cable 693LRD (3 bases) - imported ??

I'm considering buying the Porter-Cable 693LRD which includes the 3 bases.
I notice that this product is marked "imported" in several descriptions I've
seen, whereas the 693LRPK (2 base) and other 690 router products are not.
Anyone know what the difference is?

Also, what is a reputable place to order this online? A few years back I
used Seven Corners hardware (now 7corners.com), always with good results.
Amazon ships via Tool King, which doesn't rate very well at
resellerratings.com

Thanks,
-Lance

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 30 Aug 2006 22:15:09 -0400, "Lance"
wrote:

I'm considering buying the Porter-Cable 693LRD which includes the 3 bases.
I notice that this product is marked "imported" in several descriptions I've
seen, whereas the 693LRPK (2 base) and other 690 router products are not.
Anyone know what the difference is?

It is my understanding that all porter-cable product not specifically
imported from the far east (Cordless drivers, Nailers, and some
others), are assembled in Mexico. The manufactured parts are machined
in Jackson, TN, and the parts are shipped to Mexico for assembly. A
fairly good system for maintaining quality, as the quality level and
tolerance range of the machined parts dictates the final quality of
the tool, and the Jackson, TN facility is world class as a machining
facility.

The tools are then shipped back to Jackson, TN to the distribution
center.

Hard to imagine this system generates savings given the current state
of fuel costs.

It is my understanding that all the routers fall into this category.

Frank

Also, what is a reputable place to order this online? A few years back I
used Seven Corners hardware (now 7corners.com), always with good results.
Amazon ships via Tool King, which doesn't rate very well at
resellerratings.com

Thanks,
-Lance

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

Thanks for the clarification. I agree, it's hard to imagine this saves
significant $$ !

-Lance

Porter Cable Mike Reed Woodworking 3 January 25th 05 07:03 PM
Black and Decker bought Porter Cable and nobody noticed. Ernie Leimkuhler Metalworking 11 January 6th 05 04:06 AM
Porter Cable Router Purchase Question L Anthony Johnson Woodworking 7 October 15th 04 05:47 PM
Is it OK to put standard "twin & earth" cable directly into the cavity of a dwarf wall? Jon Weaver UK diy 20 August 8th 03 03:38 PM
Routeing Electrical FTE cable pickerel UK diy 3 July 24th 03 12:43 AM