Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to rec.woodworking

Default LV premium hollow mortising chisels + bits?

I'm planning on getting a mortising attachment for the dp (I know, I
know, a dedicated machine is better, but I don't have money or space
right now). Anyway, I've read in the archives here that a good-quality
chisel makes a big difference in this application. I was wondering if
anyone has used the LV "Premium Hollow Mortise Chisels & Bits"
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...240,53317&ap=1
Other possibilities I've found in this price range include the CMT
mortising bits from Woodcraft, or the Delta "Professional" chisel & bit
set through Amazon. Hartville Tool also has some of their own name
bits for about $10 on clearance that they claim are as good as bits
twice the price.
(I know the shank sizes vary (5/8 or 3/4), so the attachment I buy will
probably depend on which bit/s I get.)
So... What "premium" chisel/bit sets have you used, and what were your
experiences? I'm not looking for the super-premium $40-100 bits - I'm
thinking $20-25 each range. I'd appreciate shared experience or
advice.
By the way, does anyone have a used DP mortising attachment sitting
around your shop, unused since the purchase of your new dedicated
mortising machine? My DP spindle is 1 13/16"; the closest attachments
I've found are 48mm by Delta or 1 7/8" by Grizzly, so I'd need to shim
it up either way. Let me know.
Thanks,
Andy