Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Caftsman Table Saw Fence 24/24 any good?

Allow me to start by saying that I know there are better brands... I
can attest to that by the fact that I have a very nice 10" Delta
tablesaw sitting in my shop right now... Allow me to also say that it's
leaving in a month or so and returning to its owner. (as to why it's
on loan is a long story not associated with this question) which
returns me to my own saw.

On to my question ---- my normal saw is an older Sears 10"
contractor table saw. It's a solid saw and cuts oak, ash, walnut with
no problem. However.... the fence is absolutely atrocious to use. I
have to do the measure front and back to make sure it's square or
close. I've been looking at the aligh-a-rip 24/24 as an upgrade and
wonder if someone who has one can give me some info on it.

Does it lock close to square? Do you still have to measure front/back
to make sure it's close to square? Does it move easily on the rails?
Is it worth it to do that or stick with the standard fence?

I understand there are Beismeyer, Shop Fox, Excalibur, and a multitude
of other fences that are light years ahead of the 24/24 out
there....right now my budget isn't quite up for those. Not whinning
it's just the way it is right now.

Any info is greatly appreciated.... Thanks!!!

Posted to rec.woodworking

"bremen68" wrote in message
ps.com...
[...]

I suggest a Beis clone. Jet makes a Beis clone fence that you can add to
your Craftsman saw.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 29 Aug 2006 05:55:01 -0700, "bremen68"
wrote:

On to my question ---- my normal saw is an older Sears 10"
contractor table saw. It's a solid saw and cuts oak, ash, walnut with
no problem. However.... the fence is absolutely atrocious to use. I
have to do the measure front and back to make sure it's square or
close. I've been looking at the aligh-a-rip 24/24 as an upgrade and
wonder if someone who has one can give me some info on it.

Does it lock close to square? Do you still have to measure front/back
to make sure it's close to square? Does it move easily on the rails?
Is it worth it to do that or stick with the standard fence?

I had one of those on my old Sears saw--now long gone, replaced by a
Unisaur, but that's another story. To answer your questions, yes, no,
yes, yes (do anything you can to get rid of the standard fence).

It's a fine piece of equipment. It was probably the best amendment I
made to the Sears saw. It made the saw a pleasure to use.

I have a page on my website that deals with Craftsman saw upgrades.
You may find it helpful.

--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

http://www.woodbutcher.net

care to correspond with you anyway.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"bremen68" wrote in message
ps.com...

I've been looking at the aligh-a-rip 24/24 as an upgrade and

wonder if someone who has one can give me some info on it.

I've had one for 3 - 4 years and have no complaints about it. it is
certainly
a big improvement over the 30 year old Craftsman that I had. I purchased
228390 contractor type saw when Sears discontinued them just before they
came out with the cabinet saws and it came equipped with the newer
align-a-rip fence. I am an occasional wood worker (been one for over 50
years) and wouldn't even think about replacing it. RM~

PS, the fence and the wheels (and the close out price) on the saw are what
prompted me to dump my old saw and purchase the 228390 combo.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"bremen68" wrote in message
ps.com...
[...]

I have had one for 2 years and am very satisfied with it. It moves very
easily and always locks dead on square. I moved the rails out to give me
30" on the right; am not sure why anyone would want 24/24.

When I clamp my router fence to it to use my TS router table, I have to
clamp the end down so it doesn't move; but it was never designed to do this
job, so that is hardly a criticism.