Posted to rec.woodworking

Default band saw blade length question

Good Morning

I had a Grizzly G0457 14" bandsaw. Grizzly says that the length for the
blade is 106". I would like to change the blade to a Timberwolf or
Woodslicer, but they only offer blades at a 105" length. Question is, will
the 105" blade work or am I limited to buying Grizzly only blades?

Thanks
Eldon

Posted to rec.woodworking

If I were you, I would measure the length of the blade path. It is not too
difficult; diameter of wheels times PI plus twice the center distance of the
two wheels.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Dave Nissen" wrote in message
Good Morning

I had a Grizzly G0457 14" bandsaw. Grizzly says that the length for the
blade is 106". I would like to change the blade to a Timberwolf or
Woodslicer, but they only offer blades at a 105" length. Question is, will
the 105" blade work or am I limited to buying Grizzly only blades?

Thanks
Eldon

Timberwolf will indeed make a blade to the length that you specifry. Just
give them a call and they will be happy to assist.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Dave W wrote:
If I were you, I would measure the length of the blade path. It is not too
difficult; diameter of wheels times PI plus twice the center distance of the
two wheels.

You can definitely measure the blade while it's on the machine. If
it's a ways off the standard 105", most "real" bandsaw blade retailers
will weld blades to any length you want (i.e. www.suffolkmachinery.com,
which I believe is the manufacturer for timberwolf blades, although
there's been some discussion here of declining quality recently. Or
call Iturra Designs and get one of their catalogs, which has a number
of very informative articles as well as a variety of bandsaw blades and
accessories - 1-888-722-7078 - unfortunately they don't have a website)
Hope this helps,
Andy

Posted to rec.woodworking

Dave Nissen wrote:

Question is, will
the 105" blade work or am I limited to buying Grizzly only blades?

How much can you adjust the top wheel? Mine moves several inches. To adjust
for the difference between 105 and 106, you only have to change the position of
the top wheel by 1/2".

If the only blade available were longer, you could get into the problem of the
top wheel hitting the cover when adjusted upward.

Mike

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 29 Aug 2006 07:32:53 -0500, "Dave Nissen" wrote:

Good Morning

I had a Grizzly G0457 14" bandsaw. Grizzly says that the length for the
blade is 106". I would like to change the blade to a Timberwolf or
Woodslicer, but they only offer blades at a 105" length. Question is, will
the 105" blade work or am I limited to buying Grizzly only blades?

Thanks
Eldon

Eldon... your blade is probably 105" but IMHO that's a rough measurement...
I use 105" blades on my Ridgid but I back off enough tension when blade changing
to see that it would probably take a 103" blade, so my guess is that a 106"
bandsaw would have no problem using a 105" blade...

The only problem that I can foresee is that if it truly requires a 106" blade
(which I kind of doubt), then your tension gauge might not read correctly for
your initial adjustment???

Mac

https://home.comcast.net/~mac.davis
Posted to rec.woodworking
C&S C&S is offline

Both timberwolf and the HH woodslicer can be ordered at a custom length (at
no additional charge, I beleive). I have done so.... However, for the WS, HH
made me wait about 4 weeks... their web site says that it can be up to 6.

-Steve

"Dave Nissen" wrote in message
Good Morning

I had a Grizzly G0457 14" bandsaw. Grizzly says that the length for the
blade is 106". I would like to change the blade to a Timberwolf or
Woodslicer, but they only offer blades at a 105" length. Question is, will
the 105" blade work or am I limited to buying Grizzly only blades?

Thanks
Eldon

Systi-Matic Glue Line Rip blade opinions / reviews Rob Ritch Woodworking 5 March 8th 05 11:18 PM
Blade question max Woodworking 7 December 20th 04 04:03 PM
Stryco blade welder Jim Levie Metalworking 18 December 17th 04 08:54 PM
Grizzly G0555 Bandsaw blade question Wayne Brissette Woodworking 4 December 31st 03 12:10 AM