Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Fixing the yoke on a Jack Plane

I have several #5 jack planes where the yoke is broken...split apart.
Is it possible to replace the yoke fairly easily? I see that they are
held in place by a pin. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Jonesy

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Jonesy" wrote:

I have several #5 jack planes where the yoke is broken...split apart.
Is it possible to replace the yoke fairly easily? I see that they are
held in place by a pin. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Jonesy

Not sure what you are calling a "yoke", but I'm guessing it is the
tote, the tallish handle at the rear that you hold with your dominant
hand while pushing the plane. I have at least 1 that I have glued back
together and reinstalled, and had no problem with. You can get
replacement totes at Highland hardware among other places. Or it is
easy (and rewarding) to carve your own--going not for an exact replica
or a work of art, but rather comfort in your hand.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Jonesy wrote:
I have several #5 jack planes where the yoke is broken...split apart.
Is it possible to replace the yoke fairly easily? I see that they are
held in place by a pin. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Jonesy

Yes, someone here has done so and should chime in soon. A list pf parts
is available
http://stores.stanleytools.com/Plane...No.%205%20USA/
but I'm not sure which part to tell you to order.
You will break the frog if you try to punch out the retaining pin if you
don't support it properly. I'd call Lori at 1-800-262-2161.
Joe

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Jonesy" wrote:

Alexy, the yoke is the wishbone looking piece that slides over the
depth adjustment knob. It is responsible for raising and lowering the
blade.

Doh!

I was racking my brain trying to figure out what part of a plane
operated like a yoke, and never thought of that. And now that you say
it, I wonder why it wasn't completely obvious.

Well, no help from this quarter on that one, although you might look
at the plane repair kits from highland hardware. Don't know if they
include that part.

Alex

Jonesy

alexy wrote:
"Jonesy" wrote:

I have several #5 jack planes where the yoke is broken...split apart.
Is it possible to replace the yoke fairly easily? I see that they are
held in place by a pin. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Jonesy

Not sure what you are calling a "yoke", but I'm guessing it is the
tote, the tallish handle at the rear that you hold with your dominant
hand while pushing the plane. I have at least 1 that I have glued back
together and reinstalled, and had no problem with. You can get
replacement totes at Highland hardware among other places. Or it is
easy (and rewarding) to carve your own--going not for an exact replica
or a work of art, but rather comfort in your hand.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Jonesy wrote:
I have several #5 jack planes where the yoke is broken...split apart.
Is it possible to replace the yoke fairly easily? I see that they are
held in place by a pin. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

It's not a big deal. Make sure the frog is well supported and backed
and use a punch to drive out the pin. The new yoke will come with a
new pin.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Thanks Joe for the website, very helpful. I think this is the part that
I'm looking for 12-005-22 "Y" Adjusting Lever & Pin but I will double
check. Who is Lori?

Jonesy

Joe Gorman wrote:
Jonesy wrote:
I have several #5 jack planes where the yoke is broken...split apart.
Is it possible to replace the yoke fairly easily? I see that they are
held in place by a pin. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Jonesy

Yes, someone here has done so and should chime in soon. A list pf parts
is available
http://stores.stanleytools.com/Plane...No.%205%20USA/
but I'm not sure which part to tell you to order.
You will break the frog if you try to punch out the retaining pin if you
don't support it properly. I'd call Lori at 1-800-262-2161.
Joe

Posted to rec.woodworking

Joe Gorman wrote:
Jonesy wrote:
I have several #5 jack planes where the yoke is broken...split apart.
Is it possible to replace the yoke fairly easily? I see that they are
held in place by a pin. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Jonesy

Yes, someone here has done so and should chime in soon. A list pf parts
is available
http://stores.stanleytools.com/Plane...No.%205%20USA/
but I'm not sure which part to tell you to order.
You will break the frog if you try to punch out the retaining pin if you
don't support it properly. I'd call Lori at 1-800-262-2161.
Joe

Lori is the lady who handles repair parts. Or so I've gathered from
reading here. Haven't called yet but I picked up a 78 in fair shape but
missing fence, depth gage and spur so it's on my to do list.
Joe
Posted to rec.woodworking

alexy wrote:
"Jonesy" wrote:

Alexy, the yoke is the wishbone looking piece that slides over the
depth adjustment knob. It is responsible for raising and lowering the
blade.

Doh!

I was racking my brain trying to figure out what part of a plane
operated like a yoke, and never thought of that. And now that you say
it, I wonder why it wasn't completely obvious.

Well, no help from this quarter on that one, although you might look
at the plane repair kits from highland hardware. Don't know if they
include that part.

Their $26.99 kit has it. Stanley sells the y-lever and pin separately
for $1.00. The quality is not what it used to be, dunno about the
quality of the parts in the Highland kits.

--

FF

Posted to rec.woodworking

Jonesy wrote:
I order the y lever from stanely for a buck. I'm a woodshop teacher on
a fixed budget and had to fix about 5 of them. Hopefully this is a
cheap fix. Thanks for all your input.

If your school also has a metalshop maybe they could make some
for you.

--

FF