Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to rec.woodworking

Default The Perils of Working For Friends

Long story short~ Remodeled basement for longtime friends, including
tearing out of old paneling glued to cinder block walls, framed,
drywalled, replaced windows, and hauled all the debris away. Said
friends didn't even offer to buy my sandwich when they ordered out for
lunch on several ocassions while I was slaving away in their basement.
Have had too many similar experiences with others in the past year and
have now decided not to do free work anymore. (I have a full time job
not related to building, but am a very skilled carpenter/woodworker)
So, "basement" friends want existing bathroom next to finished basement
remodeled. I need some guidance on how much to charge...anyone here do
paid work for friends? I'd like to just charge a flat fee of what it's
worth to me to even bother doing it...they want me to give them an
hourly rate and an estimate of how much time it will take. What do you
think? Thanks for any input. I am new here and I really appreciate
this site.

--
woodpassion