Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Do you lend your tools?

Hi,

I was wondering how you guys deal with "tool less" neighbors asking to
borrow your powertools.

I've been asked today to lend my PC pancake compressor for a full week
the time for the "neighbor" to put up a new wood floor in his house. I
found him rude to even ask. I managed to get away with it by saying
the compressor won't be powerful enough but I'm not sure he believed
me.

I would never borrow a tool from a neigbhor, I'd rather rent one. I
don't know if it's me but I believe there's so much more involved in
landing a tool. Just to name a few:

1. The tool can be abused or even damaged by careless handling or a
lack of understanding on how to use it. If it does happen, comes the
"fun" to ask "the neighbor" to pay for the repair or replace the tool.
He may deny damaging the tool and claim he got it like that... You
must have heard that one before...

2. Liability issue. What happens, especially for you guys in the US,
if "the neighbor" injures himself pretty bad with your tool. Can he
sue you and invoke the fact you didn't give him enough warnings and
advices on how to use the tool?

3. Will it ever come back? When it's a big job, chances are pretty
high he will use it for several days. During all that time, you don't
have the tool for yourself. Not to say if you're to shy to ask, he may
just keep it.

4. And the last one, I just can't resign myself to lend any of my
tools. I carefully chose and paid the high price for them (I buy only
high end stuff) so let's say the "better cry once" happened several
times with me and I don't why to cry twice for the same tool.

So, what do you guys do when those situations happen? Do you have any
horror stories about that or overall, it always work for you?

Greg D.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Greg D. wrote in news:vjg1f2pd3bvm1cpml9ti522v5kd78d36hs@
4ax.com:

Hi,

I was wondering how you guys deal with "tool less" neighbors asking to
borrow your powertools.
.. snip...
So, what do you guys do when those situations happen? Do you have any
horror stories about that or overall, it always work for you?

"I'm sorry, but I don't lend out my tools."

--
I was punching a text message into my phone | Reed Snellenberger
yesterday and thought, "They need to make a | rsnellenberger

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 26 Aug 2006 19:21:42 -0400, Greg D. wrote:

Hi,

I was wondering how you guys deal with "tool less" neighbors asking to
borrow your powertools.

I don't have any neighbors who are tool less (or gunless), except for
the recently divorced lady nest door.

My other neighbors and I freely lend tools to each other, mostly the
one who lives behind me. In fact, about an hour ago I borrowed a
hammer drill from him. If I wanted, I could borrow his Bobcat front
loader too, but I'm not checked out in it yet. (I just need to drill
a couple of holes in my new concrete/stucco patio wall, not knock it
down)

When he added on to his house, he had my DeWalt 12" chop saw on
indefinite loan. It came back looking better than new. He used to
have me cut stuff on my Craftsman table saw for him, but when I bought
my Unisaw I sold the Crapsman to him. Remarkably, we're still
friends.

He's a certified welder by trade if I need that done, I'm a retired EE
so I solve his electrical problems.

I'm glad I don't live in your neighborhood.

[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

No way! This is a hobby for me and it is something I enjoy doing. I
wouldn't want the potential headache of someone goofing up my power tools.

Try asking the big golfer in you neighborhood (every neighborhood has one)
if you can borrow his expensive golf clubs for the weekend and see what he
says. 9/10 attempts you will probably get the door in your face.

--
Stoutman

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Greg D." wrote in message
Hi,

I was wondering how you guys deal with "tool less" neighbors asking to
borrow your powertools.

I like to be a good neighbor; so yes, whenever reasonable.
But borrowing a compressor to put a floor in is just wrong. I lent a
neighbor mine for a couple hours (along with my nailer) but for a floor he
should buy his own compressor.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Greg D. spake thusly and wrote:

I was wondering how you guys deal with "tool less" neighbors asking to
borrow your powertools.

Just say no I never loan tools. (Unless, of course, it is someone
who loaned you stuff in the past.)

Steve
--
www.sellcom.com for firewood splitters, ergonomic chairs,
office phone systems, "non-mov" surge protection, Exabyte,
Posted to rec.woodworking

Greg D. wrote:
Hi,

I was wondering how you guys deal with "tool less" neighbors asking to
borrow your powertools.

G'day Greg,
I'll lend tools to mates that I know will respect them, but make a
general policy of not loaning tools or cash to anybody. It's a sure fire
method of losing friends.
On the other hand I don't borrow tools either and turn down most offers
of a loan.
In the past I have lent tools to people and had them back in a shocking
condition, completely RS or just a "sorry it stopped" ???

On the other hand, I borrowed a whipper snipper from a mate many years
ago. Needless to say, it turned bottom up. So I bought him a replacement.
Outcome- I was short the cost of a machine and no machine to show for it.
Never again

regards
John

Posted to rec.woodworking

Greg D. wrote:
Hi,

I was wondering how you guys deal with "tool less" neighbors asking to
borrow your powertools.

A tooless neighbour is one that has more money than the person with the
tools...WHY?...because they save themselves the money by borrowing another
neighbours tool/s and when it goes tits up,you can bet they won't shell out
for its repair or offer to buy you another in its place.

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 26 Aug 2006 19:21:42 -0400, Greg D. wrote:

Hi,

I was wondering how you guys deal with "tool less" neighbors asking to
borrow your powertools.

So, what do you guys do when those situations happen? Do you have any
horror stories about that or overall, it always work for you?

Greg D.

No horror stories. I'll loan something if I know the borrower is
competent to use it. The few times I've loaned something it's come
back as good as new. And it works the other way too. When I need to
use something I have infrequent use for, I'll ask someone that has
one. And then do my task and return it right away.

But I wouldn't loan to just anyone.

Also, my shop is in the basement so not that many people have seen my
stuff. They don't know I own "it" so they don't ask.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Greg D." wrote

So, what do you guys do when those situations happen? Do you have any
horror stories about that or overall, it always work for you?

Greg D.

I just say in an ever louder tone of voice, "The last guy I lent tools to is
dead, and I don't want to go into the details about how he died because it
just gets me SO VERY ANGRY .............. "

at which time I start twitching the corner of one eye, banging whatever I
have in my hand against the floor, grunting, etc.

They usually leave quickly.

Steve

Posted to rec.woodworking

Sign in shop "don't embarrass both of us by asking to borrow tools" I lend
tools to people I woodwork with on a Limited basis. If I don't work with
you, you don't get tools. Same for the guys I work with. We have three shops
between us each set up for a specific type of work and the only tools we
"Lend" to each other are tools not normally used in one of the other shops.
We chip in and buy together tools that are needed in all the shops and used
in common, and pay for repairs and supplies in common. Outsiders don't
borrow tools from any of us.
"Greg D." wrote in message
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Greg D."

I was wondering how you guys deal with "tool less" neighbors asking to
borrow your powertools.

Sure, she can borrow them anytime. However, my general policy is, You can
borrow it once, if you need it again, you need to buy one.

Dave

http://www.usenet.com
Posted to rec.woodworking

Wes Stewart wrote:
On Sat, 26 Aug 2006 19:21:42 -0400, Greg D. wrote:

I was wondering how you guys deal with "tool less" neighbors asking to
borrow your powertools.

I don't have any neighbors who are tool less (or gunless), except for
the recently divorced lady nest door.

....a divorced lady nest? Never heard of one before, but I kind of like
the sound of it!

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Greg D." wrote in message
Hi,

I was wondering how you guys deal with "tool less" neighbors asking to
borrow your powertools.

I've been asked today to lend my PC pancake compressor for a full week
the time for the "neighbor" to put up a new wood floor in his house. I
found him rude to even ask.

Depends on who wants what tool.

I did lend my miter saw to a guy for about a week. Deal was he'd get the
blade sharpened when done. Came back in perfect shape and he paid for the
sharpening. This is a guy that uses and respects tools so I had no worries.

OTOH, that was the only time I have been asked in many years. I like it
that way.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Because Greg D. could, he/she/it opin'd:

Hi,

I was wondering how you guys deal with "tool less" neighbors asking to
borrow your powertools.

I'd tell them I'd be glad to loan them any of my tools -- as long as
they are willing to have me there operating the tool, too.

Otherwise, they should rent or buy the tool and do it themselves.

(I would probably make an exception for any of my brothers-in-law,
'cause I know they all know how to treat tools. Of course, I know this
because I've seen them using their tools, and I'm sure any of them
would go buy his own before asking to borrow mine ;^)

-Don
--
"What do *you* care what other people think?" --Arline Feynman
Posted to rec.woodworking

Really depends on the tool, and the person, and for how long Same with
borrowing tools, if I can't repair it/replace it, I don't barrow it.

I "borrowed" my brothers router off and on for 3 years; worked out
really well for both of us, he had a router he almost never used and
only the round over bit it came with. I didn't have a router but got
the bits and build jigs, table, etc. so any time he did need to use the
router he had the accessory he needed. When I got my router I think he
might have been a little disappointed that the base on mine matches his
so he didn't get my router table, or some of my jigs, did give him so of
the duplicate bits I had, I'll give him the router table when I build my
new one, some day.

as far as lending things, I'll lend my Buddy Dave anything, simply
because I trust him. For most other people me and the tools come as a
package deal, "putting in a floor and need a compressor, sure I can come
over and give you a hand with that."

The current working arrangement with my neighbors is more skills then
tools, Jaime dose concrete, Tom's a welder, I do woodworking, etc. and
we all leverage off each other.

Greg D. wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Greg D." wrote in message
Hi,

I was wondering how you guys deal with "tool less" neighbors asking to
borrow your powertools.

Sure I will, but it depends on the person. My next door neighbor is more
anal about his tools than I am. He borrowed an older , fairly abused tool
that I no longer had use for, it died while he was using it, and he replaced
it with a new one.
Heck, I would loan him my wife, and I bet she would come back in better
shape than she left!
A few guys I know I would not loan anything to.
Greg

Posted to rec.woodworking

By tool less do you mean no tools or fewer tools?

My experience is even those with tools use them stupidly. Have you seen
this guy doing anything involving wood before?

It comes in levels or steps of trust.
A neighbor with no tools I'd loan a hammer but not anything that could
cut. A neighbor that had a hammer I'd loan maybe a hand saw but not a
power one. A neighbor with a hand saw I'd loan an electric drill but
not a power saw. I'd not let anyone use a power saw that I did not know
had used a power saw before. They need supervision.

Would you loan say a circular saw to someone that did not own a hammer? Not!

Would you loan a chainsaw to someone that did not own any other power
tools? Not!

If the guy was any kind of serious hobbyist he would be looking to buy
his own. If he is doing the floor he probably is renting the nail gun.
Is he also renting the saw to cut the flooring? Why didn't he also
rent a compressor? Or did he forget that part. Compared to the cost of
the flooring it should be nothing. I think your neighbor (or his wife)
has been watching those install your own wood floor commercials too much.

Greg D. wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 26 Aug 2006 19:21:42 -0400, Greg D. wrote:
Hi,
I was wondering how you guys deal with "tool less" neighbors asking to
borrow your powertools.

I will consider a loan for most of my tools (loan without me being
there). There have been very few situations where I came up short on
the deal. There are a few tools that I would want some assurance that
they know how to use it safely, such as the chainsaw or welder.
There are few tools that I have which would represent considerable
sentimental value if they were not returned.
I learn something about each person who borrows from me.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Tom Kendrick" wrote in message
I learn something about each person who borrows from me.

If you lend be a $100, I'll tell you all about myself. For $500, you'd get
written stores too.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Depending on who it is, I will loan my tools to a select few friends and
neighbors. More often, I do the work for them. However, I may be in a bit
of a unique position. I do a lot of work in my garage and in the driveway.
So, to keep my neighbors happy and off my back, I do anything they want
(within reason of course). It has paid off rather well.

"Greg D." wrote in message
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

[...]

I just say "Sorry, I don't lend tools." Most of them just ask once.
You can suggest a place to rent them. One neighbor did ask if he
could borrow my extension ladder to change a light bulb, I said "Sorry
I don't lend tools," then I went over and changed the bulb for him. I
wasn't about to loan my $350 ladder out and possibly come back
damaged.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 27 Aug 2006 10:53:58 GMT, Phisherman wrote:
wasn't about to loan my $350 ladder out and possibly come back
damaged.

When I moved into this house, one of my neighbours commented
on the tools that were being offloaded and put in the garage.

The conversation went something like:
"That's a lot of tools you've got there"
"yes, I like to build my own furniture sometimes"
"Oh, you know some of the cheaper pieces are quite nice now"

followed by an awkward silence .... they seemed to think I
did woodworking to save money :-)))))

Since then, the topic has never come up again, suits me.

Pete

--
.................................................. .........................
.. never trust a man who, when left alone ...... Pete Lynch .

Posted to rec.woodworking

MGH wrote:
I learned a long time ago never lend out your tools or your wife.
MGH

Idon't know. I loaned her my favorite tool last night.

Glen
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Greg D." wrote in message
Hi,

I was wondering how you guys deal with "tool less" neighbors asking to
borrow your powertools.

I lend some, but not all things to a very select few friends. There is a
longer list of people who can use my garage and about 80% of what's in it
whether I'm there or not - though that is not a huge list, just longer than
list A.

I've been asked today to lend my PC pancake compressor for a full week
the time for the "neighbor" to put up a new wood floor in his house. I
found him rude to even ask. I managed to get away with it by saying
the compressor won't be powerful enough but I'm not sure he believed
me.

I find it more than a little odd that you consider him rude to have asked.
I think that says more about you than about your neighbor for asking.

I would never borrow a tool from a neigbhor, I'd rather rent one. I
don't know if it's me but I believe there's so much more involved in
landing a tool. Just to name a few:

A fine personal perspective, but that's your choice on how to deal with the
need.

1. The tool can be abused or even damaged by careless handling or a
lack of understanding on how to use it. If it does happen, comes the
"fun" to ask "the neighbor" to pay for the repair or replace the tool.
He may deny damaging the tool and claim he got it like that... You
must have heard that one before...

A good start on a list of weak and contrived reasons to back up your
position.

2. Liability issue. What happens, especially for you guys in the US,
if "the neighbor" injures himself pretty bad with your tool. Can he
sue you and invoke the fact you didn't give him enough warnings and
advices on how to use the tool?

A long reach, but credit is given for at least keeping up the momentum of
weak and contrived reasons.

3. Will it ever come back? When it's a big job, chances are pretty
high he will use it for several days. During all that time, you don't
have the tool for yourself. Not to say if you're to shy to ask, he may
just keep it.

You are developing quite a roll.

4. And the last one, I just can't resign myself to lend any of my
tools. I carefully chose and paid the high price for them (I buy only
high end stuff) so let's say the "better cry once" happened several
times with me and I don't why to cry twice for the same tool.

The only reason in your list that makes any sense to me. I consider you to
be somewhat selfish, *but* at least with this reason you come clean and
simply state that you don't like to loan your valuable tools. Then fine -
don't. But don't loan them simply on the basis that you don't want to loan
your valuable tools. Making up silly sounding contrived reasons does not
convince anyone else any more than those reasons probably convinced you.

I would ask you though - have you ever borrowed a tool? Maybe before you
amassed all of your high end valuable collections?

So, what do you guys do when those situations happen? Do you have any
horror stories about that or overall, it always work for you?

No Greg, it has not always worked out for me. Sometimes a tool gets broken.
Sometimes it gets repaired or replaced, and sometimes it does not.
Sometimes that hurts a bit. But I believe in giving back. I'm fortunate to
have what I do and I try to extend that to others. I do take precautions
and I do try to be smart about others using my stuff, but I don't hoard what
I have.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 27 Aug 2006 08:05:31 -0400, "Mike Marlow"
wrote:

"Greg D." wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Well said. To repeat, I'm glad I don't live in that neighborhood. [g]

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

I find it more than a little odd that you consider him rude to have asked.
I think that says more about you than about your neighbor for asking.

I found this neighbor rude because he bought his house last year so I
barely know him - I don't even know his name. He's doing a lot of
renovation in his house so he seems to have enough money for that.

Not only that, he asked me about one month ago to split my TV cable
and pirate the signal for him. Looks more to me like a bottom feeder
who will do everything in his power to get a free lunch and a free
ride at the same time. I'm sorry, but I'm not like that. Just there,
there's an ocean of diffences between us.

I would never borrow a tool from a neigbhor, I'd rather rent one. I
don't know if it's me but I believe there's so much more involved in
landing a tool. Just to name a few:

A fine personal perspective, but that's your choice on how to deal with the
need.

I just feel it's too much too ask. For the same reasons I've stated,
and even though I'm careful with tools, I feel it's just too much work
to demonstrate to a neighbor I can use his tool carefully. I prefer to
shell out 20$ and get a rental for one day. If I have enough money to
afford a house, I must have enough to rent a tool.

1. The tool can be abused or even damaged by careless handling or a
lack of understanding on how to use it. If it does happen, comes the
"fun" to ask "the neighbor" to pay for the repair or replace the tool.
He may deny damaging the tool and claim he got it like that... You
must have heard that one before...

A good start on a list of weak and contrived reasons to back up your
position.

Based on the feedback I had already on this topic, I think many more
people think like me.

4. And the last one, I just can't resign myself to lend any of my
tools. I carefully chose and paid the high price for them (I buy only
high end stuff) so let's say the "better cry once" happened several
times with me and I don't why to cry twice for the same tool.

The only reason in your list that makes any sense to me. I consider you to
be somewhat selfish, *but* at least with this reason you come clean and
simply state that you don't like to loan your valuable tools. Then fine -
don't. But don't loan them simply on the basis that you don't want to loan
your valuable tools. Making up silly sounding contrived reasons does not
convince anyone else any more than those reasons probably convinced you.

If you define selfish as being a person who don't want to lend any
objects he owns. Yes, I'm certainly selfish when comes to powertools.
But the problem is I don't mind lending other stuff. So can one be
selfish and not at the same time? The reasons I have stated are
genuine and not made up. I don't want to deal with that. Period.

I would ask you though - have you ever borrowed a tool? Maybe before you
amassed all of your high end valuable collections?

Yes, I did borrow tools at some point in time. I've been extra careful
with them and must admit, they belong to my father. So the trust
relationship took a few years to build up and I've been up to.

So, what do you guys do when those situations happen? Do you have any
horror stories about that or overall, it always work for you?

No Greg, it has not always worked out for me. Sometimes a tool gets broken.
Sometimes it gets repaired or replaced, and sometimes it does not.
Sometimes that hurts a bit. But I believe in giving back. I'm fortunate to
have what I do and I try to extend that to others. I do take precautions
and I do try to be smart about others using my stuff, but I don't hoard what
I have.

There's also another aspect to this question. Where do you draw the
line between being a good and resourceful neighbor to others or become
a free tool rental store for all? When a neighbor talks to you only
when he needs something from you (because he knows you have a great
collection of tools), I don't know but I feel a little bit exploited.
I'd rather see him interested in buidling up a good relationship with
me before looking after my tools.

A relationship must be build up by showing care and interest for the
others. When you get nothing of that and just a rude "request" to lend
one of your tool, I'm sorry but he doesn't qualify yet to get one...

Greg D.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 27 Aug 2006 11:37:28 GMT, Peter Lynch
wrote:

When I moved into this house, one of my neighbours commented
on the tools that were being offloaded and put in the garage.

The conversation went something like:
"That's a lot of tools you've got there"
"yes, I like to build my own furniture sometimes"
"Oh, you know some of the cheaper pieces are quite nice now"

followed by an awkward silence .... they seemed to think I
did woodworking to save money :-)))))

Since then, the topic has never come up again, suits me.

Pete

Wow, that's come up in my own conversations with people - it's cheaper
to buy. Maybe. But that's not why *I* woodwork, and obviously not
you either.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Greg D."

wrote in message
Hi,

I was wondering how you guys deal with "tool less" neighbors asking to
borrow your powertools.

A qualified yes ... to anyone who I know is capable and knowledgeable enough
to use and treat them as I do.

Although I would rarely ask to borrow a tool, if I did, it would be returned
to you in better shape than it was when I borrowed it.

Thanks, Dad! ... for that lesson, taught at an early age.

That said, on a job site I will go out to the truck and get my own rather
than presume to pickup even something like a tape measure belonging to a man
who makes his living using it.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 8/21/06

Posted to rec.woodworking

YMMV!

I certainly would not loan out my tools indiscriminately.

However, I am lucky to live in a stable neighborhood with "neighborly"
neighbors who help each other. We have liverd here 24 years and are nto the
most senior residents. Many of of nearby neighbors have lived here 5 to 10
years.

We help each other in many ways. If one of us has a big project, it is
common for others to just drop in to lend a hand. Often, when we lend tools,
it is with two helping hands attached.

Over the years, many of us have developed specialty interests with
collections of tools to match. Besides the specialty tool that you use once,
we can also "borrow" the expertise that goes with it. One of my neighbors is
a master gardener. Another works installing custom exterior trim for
commercial buildings. I have a well equipped power tool workshop, as well as
being a computer jock by day.

It is all a matter of trust. Over time, you learn who can be trusted to
return a tool in good condition and has the ability to use it properly,
versus the jerk who will either return a broken tool or forget to return it
at all.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Steve B" wrote in

I just say in an ever louder tone of voice, "The last guy I lent tools
to is dead, and I don't want to go into the details about how he died
because it just gets me SO VERY ANGRY .............. "

at which time I start twitching the corner of one eye, banging
whatever I have in my hand against the floor, grunting, etc.

They usually leave quickly.

Steve

Think I could borrow that act some time? ;-)

Puckdropper

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Teamcasa" wrote in
:

Sure, she can borrow them anytime. However, my general policy is, You
can borrow it once, if you need it again, you need to buy one.

Dave

*trim*

Good policy for renting, too.

Puckdropper

Posted to rec.woodworking

Greg D. wrote:

Hi,

I was wondering how you guys deal with "tool less" neighbors asking to
borrow your powertools.

That's why I keep the Craftsman power tools I mistakenly bought around.
They usually only ask once.

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Greg D." wrote in message

I found this neighbor rude because he bought his house last year so I
barely know him - I don't even know his name. He's doing a lot of
renovation in his house so he seems to have enough money for that.

As is the case in a usenet forum - the more something is discussed, the more
factors become revealed. Though this may or may not play into a decision on
my part, it certainly does reveal more about your thoughts than your
original post did.

Not only that, he asked me about one month ago to split my TV cable
and pirate the signal for him. Looks more to me like a bottom feeder
who will do everything in his power to get a free lunch and a free
ride at the same time. I'm sorry, but I'm not like that. Just there,
there's an ocean of diffences between us.

I understand that. I don't cheat on that kind of stuff either. I find
myself somewhat uncomfortable with others suggesting I participate in those
things. Fortunately I have found that most people will respect my position
on these types of things once I give a quick explanation that I don't do
that. Those who seem stuck on the point, I put in the category of bottom
feeder as well. What I have found is that these days almost everybody
thinks a little cheating is ok.

A fine personal perspective, but that's your choice on how to deal with

the
need.

I just feel it's too much too ask. For the same reasons I've stated,
and even though I'm careful with tools, I feel it's just too much work
to demonstrate to a neighbor I can use his tool carefully. I prefer to
shell out 20$ and get a rental for one day. If I have enough money to
afford a house, I must have enough to rent a tool.

That's fair - like I said, it's your perspective on how to deal with a need.
For me, I and my circle of friends share tools constantly. If one of us
has what the other needs, it's a given that we'll borrow what we need. It's
a circle of people who all share a common respect for the values of the tool
owner, and for the value of the tool. Hell, one of my friends has heavy
construction equipment and I don't think twice about going up and picking up
a back hoe or a bulldozer when I need them. He thinks nothing about calling
me to come over and do some wiring, borrowing a circular saw, or some other
need. We both know that our equipement or tools will be cared for at least
as well as we care for them ourselves.

A good start on a list of weak and contrived reasons to back up your
position.

Based on the feedback I had already on this topic, I think many more
people think like me.

That may well be. I wasn't tallying votes, simply expressing my opinion in
response to an open question.

[...]

Agreed - but that again was not part of your original post. My response
stated that there is a select group of people I will loan stuff to.

--

-Mike-