Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Do you lend your tools?

"MGH" wrote in message
I learned a long time ago never lend out your tools or your wife.
MGH

I'd love to hear exactly how you learned that.

B.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 26 Aug 2006 19:21:42 -0400, Greg D. wrote:

With the exception of a guy down the block that never returns them, I lend some
tools out...

mostly, I offer to help them or let then use the tools IN MY GARAGE where I can
keep an eye on them and the tools..

I'd rather not get a tool back than find out that I loaned out one that I
thought they knew how to use, and find out later that didn't have a clue and
lost a finger or something using it..

Hi,

I was wondering how you guys deal with "tool less" neighbors asking to
borrow your powertools.

I've been asked today to lend my PC pancake compressor for a full week
the time for the "neighbor" to put up a new wood floor in his house. I
found him rude to even ask. I managed to get away with it by saying
the compressor won't be powerful enough but I'm not sure he believed
me.

I would never borrow a tool from a neigbhor, I'd rather rent one. I
don't know if it's me but I believe there's so much more involved in
landing a tool. Just to name a few:

1. The tool can be abused or even damaged by careless handling or a
lack of understanding on how to use it. If it does happen, comes the
"fun" to ask "the neighbor" to pay for the repair or replace the tool.
He may deny damaging the tool and claim he got it like that... You
must have heard that one before...

2. Liability issue. What happens, especially for you guys in the US,
if "the neighbor" injures himself pretty bad with your tool. Can he
sue you and invoke the fact you didn't give him enough warnings and
advices on how to use the tool?

3. Will it ever come back? When it's a big job, chances are pretty
high he will use it for several days. During all that time, you don't
have the tool for yourself. Not to say if you're to shy to ask, he may
just keep it.

4. And the last one, I just can't resign myself to lend any of my
tools. I carefully chose and paid the high price for them (I buy only
high end stuff) so let's say the "better cry once" happened several
times with me and I don't why to cry twice for the same tool.

So, what do you guys do when those situations happen? Do you have any
horror stories about that or overall, it always work for you?

Greg D.

Mac

https://home.comcast.net/~mac.davis
Posted to rec.woodworking

Swingman wrote:
"Greg D."

wrote in message
Hi,

I was wondering how you guys deal with "tool less" neighbors asking to
borrow your powertools.

A qualified yes ... to anyone who I know is capable and knowledgeable enough
to use and treat them as I do.

Although I would rarely ask to borrow a tool, if I did, it would be returned
to you in better shape than it was when I borrowed it.

Thanks, Dad! ... for that lesson, taught at an early age.

That said, on a job site I will go out to the truck and get my own rather
than presume to pickup even something like a tape measure belonging to a man
who makes his living using it.

Especially a tape measure. Don't mess with someone else's measuring
tools. I've calibrated four tapes to each other and to a master rule,
and might get grumpy if someone snapped an end off one.

That said, there's not much reason for not lending some tools around
here, while most of the rest are going to sit, no matter what. My table
saw and air compressor and planer and jointer and bandsaw and lathe are
way too heavy to be portable. For those, a few people have keys to my
shop, and are welcome at any time if they need something, use or
borrow. Others ask, and if I know them and their tool use habits, the
odds are good they'll walk out with the tool. A couple could ask for a
year and not get a thing, based on past experience (lost parts, lost
tool, tool left in the woods for a month, that sort of thing).

As in many rural communities, though, most people around here have all
they need in the way of tools, though it's not uncommon for someone
like me, with a 24' extension ladder, to occasionally need to borrow a
28' or a 32' or a 40'.

Posted to rec.woodworking
bf bf is offline

Greg D. wrote:
Hi,

I was wondering how you guys deal with "tool less" neighbors asking to
borrow your powertools.

I don't do it any more. I loan to my family, that's it.

I had a rototiller trashed by a neighbor.

I had a circular saw left out in the rain.

I lent a neighbor two big C-Clamps. He never returned them. He actually
had the gall to hang them on his pegboard in his garage. When I asked
for them back, he actually said "Are you sure your really need them? I
wanted to keep them".

In hindsight, I feel stupid for being so trusting of people.

Posted to rec.woodworking
No No is offline

Greg D. wrote:
[...]

I lend my tools but I also offer to help out on the project. So, you
borrow a tool and you get me along with it sometimes! I have borrowed
tools too. Sometimes my tools come back with a beer or two attached.
Tools I borrow come back better than I got them. Once I borrowed an air
hose. It had a leak at the fitting. A bit of Teflon taped fixed it right
up. The owner didn't need to make a trip to the store, I had some handy.
Used the hose for a couple of hours, brought it back in better condition
than I borrowed it in. Life is good when you share.

Posted to rec.woodworking

snip

So, what do you guys do when those situations happen? Do you have any
horror stories about that or overall, it always work for you?

Greg D.

If somebody asks to borrow one of my tools it comes down to two
things... 1. How long have I known them and 2. How long have I known
them.

My friends and I swap tools regularly. If there's a problem, the
borrower fixes or makes good on it. I've known these folks for years,
worked with them alot and respect their integrity. Never had a
problem.

I've heard the horror stories and such, I think we all have. You'll
get that from any subject when it comes to lending stuff out. Except
for SWMBO... Lend them out just once and you may lose a friend
forever... ;-) (just kidding honey)

The only tool I do refuse to lend out is my chain saw... Tell me what
you want cut, don't ask for my saw.

If somebody would ask to borrow something that I don't know, a simple
"I don't lend my tools out" should work fine. If they're a friend
they'll grunt and say ok, if not, then it's not really a loss now is
it.

Just my humble two pennies worth...and ya get what you pay for in this
world...

Posted to rec.woodworking

Greg D. wrote:

So, what do you guys do when those situations happen? Do you have any
horror stories about that or overall, it always work for you?

Greg D.

Depends on who and what, trusted friends who know what they are doing,
no problem, neighbours however can only borrow what I can afford to lose
(usually they ask and I end up doing it for them), that way I need not
worry about fools injuring themselves.
Posted to rec.woodworking

I lent a neighbor two big C-Clamps. He never returned them. He actually
had the gall to hang them on his pegboard in his garage. When I asked
for them back, he actually said "Are you sure your really need them? I
wanted to keep them".

Who is your neighbor? Homer Simpson?

Dave

http://www.usenet.com
Posted to rec.woodworking

| In hindsight, I feel stupid for being so trusting of people.

It's almost impossible to trust without being disappointed
occasionally. FWIW, I think the stupidity was someone else's.

It take a bit of courage to trust another person. Don't give up on it.

My definition of trust: someone telling you the truth over and over.

It happens a little at a time.

Steve

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 26 Aug 2006 19:21:42 -0400, Greg D. wrote:

So, what do you guys do when those situations happen? Do you have any
horror stories about that or overall, it always work for you?

Greg D.

Nobody has asked to borrow my woodworking tools but, way back when, I got
a rude awakening while working in a machine shop. Tools I needed on a
daily basis would be borrowed but never returned. I'd have to go chase
them down ... slowing down my own work. Finally I adopted a policy of only
loaning tools to guys who left either their wallet or their full key ring
as deposit.

That cut the flood of requests down to a trickle ... and then the trickle
dried up when I wouldn't return a guys car keys until he coughed up my
missing micrometer.

The boss got into the act and wanted me to return the keys. I told him I
would ... if he (the boss) would agree to buy me a new mike ($60 for a
Mitutoyo 0-1 mike) to replace the missing one.

Don't kmow how the guy got home that night, but I got my mike back early
the next day.

Bill
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 28 Aug 2006 08:46:36 -0700, "bf" wrote:

Greg D. wrote:
Hi,

I was wondering how you guys deal with "tool less" neighbors asking to
borrow your powertools.

I don't do it any more. I loan to my family, that's it.

I had a rototiller trashed by a neighbor.

I had a circular saw left out in the rain.

I lent a neighbor two big C-Clamps. He never returned them. He actually
had the gall to hang them on his pegboard in his garage. When I asked
for them back, he actually said "Are you sure your really need them? I
wanted to keep them".

In hindsight, I feel stupid for being so trusting of people.

When in doubt, only loan out the cheap or old ones...
I think it was Carlin that said "if a friend borrows $20 and doesn't pay it
back, it was a good investment"..

Mac

https://home.comcast.net/~mac.davis
Posted to rec.woodworking

Some folks are like that. I had a friend who wanted to get a drill and
i was explaining to him what to buy. Knowing that its quite expensive,
I offered him my almost new bosch hammer drill for 15 pounds as i got
too many of em as a goodwill measure. ( I can get used drills like
metabo, bosch, makita, hilti quite cheaply)

He asked me if i will include free bit and later said, great, then he
could just borrow from you.

I told him that i intend to sell it in a very new condition as as such
cant lend him. Transportation would cost me $5 to and fro to pass him
the drill and i really dont see why i should be incurring such expenses
for whos trying to wring dry someone else. Goodness sake its $15 near
mint

I thought he was opportunistic and stopped talking to him since.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Greg D. wrote:
Hi,

I was wondering how you guys deal with "tool less" neighbors asking to
borrow your powertools.

Not NO but HELL NO! However, I would go with tool and help out if asked.
No one uses my tools Not even the wife

byefernow
wPm