Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Workbench Complete but waiting for finish

wrote in message
Hello All,

I just completed my new workbench and I thingk that it turned out
pretty good. You can see it he

http://www.arealnice.com/shop/

I made it large at 8 ft long by 3 ft wide with a solid maple top and
SYP base. I figure that it weighs in at about 300 lbs.

I left the base open at the front to leave room for a box of drawers.

I used a variation of the router method to flatten the top. Instead of
clamping a cross member to slide the router on, I made the cross
member extra long so that I slid the entire assembly across the table.

I used two factory edges of plywood clamped to the sides of the
workbench, using winding sticks.

I applied melamine to all touching surfaces to reduce friction. It
worked perfect. Not a single high or low spot.

You can see the cross member leaning against the wall in the
background of the picture.

I figured that I would use this method since I would end up with the
fixtures afterward. I could use them to flatten extra wide boards with
the same setup.

I am open to suggestions on what finish to apply.

Looks nice. I love that style of feet on a bench. It is obviously quite
substantial.

Where are the dog holes??