Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Replacing a closet pole

If it were simple, I wouldn't be asking.

Since I had expected to be hanging some very heavy clothing on the pole in
my bedroom closets (don't ask), I decided to skip the traditional cup-type
pole supports and instead drilled pole-diameter holes in two of the upper
shelf supports (1x6). The poles were cut to the exact width of the closet
and the poles inserted into the holes before the double-width "furring
strips" were nailed to the wall.

So ... some twenty years later I'd like to replace the poles without
destroying the closet. Yes, I could rip out the shelving and side supports
and install new stuff but that seems an extreme solution to the problem --
though the only one I've come up with so far that preserves the entire
length of the pole which plugging the holes and replacing them with cup-type
supports doesn't.

Suggestions?

TIA
Norm

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Norm Dresner" wrote in message
[...]

Cut a vertical slot above one hole so that the pole can be lifted or lowered
into position. Use a router, or spade bit and chisel to cut the slot.
Cut the existing pole to give you access to make the modification.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 25 Aug 2006 14:36:53 GMT, "Leon"
wrote:

[...]

That's exactly how I did mine in the laundry closet. It's still going
strong after 14 years, but it can be easily replaced using the
vertical slot on one end if need be.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Norm Dresner"
[...]

"Leon" Cut a vertical slot above one hole so that the pole can be lifted or
lowered into position. Use a router, or spade bit and chisel to cut the
slot.
Cut the existing pole to give you access to make the modification.

Good idea. But if that won't work for you, make a scarf joint in the new
pole. (24" long). I did this 10 years ago, and the 7' long pole is still
holding up some heavy sutff with little sag.
Dave

http://www.usenet.com
Posted to rec.woodworking

Norm Dresner wrote:
[...]

Cut the pole in half and take it out. Use 2 pieces of pipe (you said
the clothes are heavy) and a "joiner thingy", one of those things you
use to join 2 pieces of pipe together to make a longer one . Join the
two pieces of pipe together with the joiner, put one end in the hole,
line up the other one and unscrew it from the joiner until it is tight
in the other hole.

-Jim

Posted to rec.woodworking

"jtpr" wrote in message
ups.com...

Cut the pole in half and take it out. Use 2 pieces of pipe (you said
the clothes are heavy) and a "joiner thingy", one of those things you
use to join 2 pieces of pipe together to make a longer one . Join the
two pieces of pipe together with the joiner, put one end in the hole,
line up the other one and unscrew it from the joiner until it is tight
in the other hole.

The problem with that is the typical 1 piece "Joiner" to make 2 pieces of
pipe into a longer run, makes the total length shorter as you screw the
pieces together. The pipe would likely fall out of one or the other after
the "joiner" was properly fitted on to pipe ends.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote in message
. com...

"jtpr" wrote in message
ups.com...

Cut the pole in half and take it out. Use 2 pieces of pipe (you said
the clothes are heavy) and a "joiner thingy", one of those things you
use to join 2 pieces of pipe together to make a longer one . Join the
two pieces of pipe together with the joiner, put one end in the hole,
line up the other one and unscrew it from the joiner until it is tight
in the other hole.

The problem with that is the typical 1 piece "Joiner" to make 2 pieces of
pipe into a longer run, makes the total length shorter as you screw the
pieces together. The pipe would likely fall out of one or the other after
the "joiner" was properly fitted on to pipe ends.

Ok, sorry, I reread what you suggested and agree in principal that your
suggestion "Might" work but then another problem comes up. Because pipe
threads are tapered the fit becomes loose and sloppy as you loosen the
fitting. If you loosen the "joiner" the joint will start to and loose
strength and probably bend under its own weight. These threads are not like
the typical nut and bolt threads and or do not work like a turn buckle

Posted to rec.woodworking

"jtpr" wrote in message

Cut the pole in half and take it out. Use 2 pieces of pipe (you said
the clothes are heavy) and a "joiner thingy", one of those things you
use to join 2 pieces of pipe together to make a longer one .

That would be a Cup Ling.

Posted to rec.woodworking
No No is offline

Norm Dresner wrote:
[...]

Why does it need replaced? If it ain't broke leave well enough alone. If
it broke then just un-do what you did 14 years ago and then re-do it
again that way. Whats the big deal? Could have been done by the time you
posted to this group.
Posted to rec.woodworking

[...]

First just cut the pole in two with a saw and remove it.

Second, cut a new pole to the desired length using the old pole as a guide.

Third, use a spade or Forstner bit the same diameter of the existing holes
to drill one of the existing holes about 7/8" deeper. (assumes 3/4" thick
stock with some wiggle room). You might very well just drill through
drywall... which is fine. Or you might hit a stud... which is also fine. If
one end is in an exterior wall drill into the interior wall to preserve your
vapor barrier (assuming you have one!).

Forth, stick the new pole in the newly deepened hole, line up the other end
and shift the pole sideways into the original hole.

Fifth, drive a 4d finish nail through the support and pole to keep it from
shifting.

John

Posted to rec.woodworking

[...]

Why are you replacing the pole?

If it is drooping then add a center support. If it not drooping then why
are you considering the change?

--

Roger Shoaf

they come up with this striped stuff.

Posted to rec.woodworking

In my broom closet, I added a closet pole made from steel pipe cut to
distance between the shelf supports. On each end, I cut a square piece
of garden edging, then welded a piece of garden edging to each end of
the pipe. Each endplate has 4 holes drilled to allow screws to secure
to the shelf supports. Used a rubber hammer to force it into place.

Long closet pole Actor123 Home Repair 60 March 20th 06 04:46 PM
Light switch 3 pole and 2 pole helpme Home Repair 11 February 13th 06 11:57 PM
pvc closet flange replacement/repair options Bradley T. Murphy Home Repair 3 April 24th 04 10:36 PM
Building a pole barn shop Don Home Repair 13 April 15th 04 05:51 PM
Strange not-quite-240 high-voltage smoke problem... short? circuit breaker? Kent Monroe Home Repair 10 February 22nd 04 02:42 AM