Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Router bit question

I just got my router and my wife and I did a little cost analysis.
That is where I make something for her and she analyizes what I made
and tells me that the router cost too much.

Anyway, I made a simple cutting board on 12x1 oak. I used a 1/2 inch
rounder on the router. My first pass would be fine but the second pass
sounded like I was grinding much more wood. ON top of that the ends of
my router trails always stray a bit. I am new to this and need some
advice. What can I do to make two even cuts and keep them straight the
whole time?
Thanks in advance

Rob

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message
ups.com...
I just got my router and my wife and I did a little cost analysis.
That is where I make something for her and she analyizes what I made
and tells me that the router cost too much.

Anyway, I made a simple cutting board on 12x1 oak. I used a 1/2 inch
rounder on the router. My first pass would be fine but the second pass
sounded like I was grinding much more wood. ON top of that the ends of
my router trails always stray a bit. I am new to this and need some
advice. What can I do to make two even cuts and keep them straight the
whole time?
Thanks in advance

Rob

Don't try to take too much wood off in one pass, feed it too fast, or force
feed. Those were my early mistakes. Let the bit do its work. If you hear
if bogging down, it probably is.

Steve

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
I just got my router .....

Rob

http://patwarner.com/

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message

I just got my router and my wife and I did a little cost analysis.
That is where I make something for her and she analyizes what I made
and tells me that the router cost too much.

Anyway, I made a simple cutting board on 12x1 oak. I used a 1/2 inch
rounder on the router. My first pass would be fine but the second pass
sounded like I was grinding much more wood. ON top of that the ends of
my router trails always stray a bit. I am new to this and need some
advice. What can I do to make two even cuts and keep them straight the
whole time?
Thanks in advance

Slide a bit further down the slippery slope and start seeing a router
table/fence in your future. Fences and guides make for much more precision
in your routing work.

Also, what Bridger said.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 8/21/06

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Swingman" wrote in
:

wrote in message

I just got my router and my wife and I did a little cost analysis.
That is where I make something for her and she analyizes what I made
and tells me that the router cost too much.

Anyway, I made a simple cutting board on 12x1 oak. I used a 1/2
inch rounder on the router. My first pass would be fine but the
second pass sounded like I was grinding much more wood. ON top of
that the ends of my router trails always stray a bit. I am new to
this and need some advice. What can I do to make two even cuts and
keep them straight the whole time?
Thanks in advance

Slide a bit further down the slippery slope and start seeing a router
table/fence in your future. Fences and guides make for much more
precision in your routing work.

Also, what Bridger said.

Don't go out and spend $50 on a table fence yet. You need to go out and
spend $2 on a board and $200-400 on a planer to make sure it's straight.
Then, use the board for a fence.

A short (say 2') 1x2 may just be straight enough for most fence purposes
if 100% straight isn't a concern. I was using that yesterday rather than
my table mounted router's fence. (It has a 4" gap around the bit which
makes some operations difficult.)

Puckdropper

Router use question Ivan Vegvary Woodworking 26 February 17th 06 04:32 AM
Porter Cable Router Purchase Question L Anthony Johnson Woodworking 7 October 15th 04 05:47 PM
Router Question buck Woodworking 11 September 15th 04 01:09 AM
An Ultimate Router Table - Part I: A Short Story Unisaw A100 Woodworking 15 August 4th 04 10:43 PM
Question about using a router PoP UK diy 6 January 5th 04 01:20 PM