Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Nail gun to penetrate oak

Hi,

I had purchased an electrical gun with the idea of using it for making
frames (while the glue is setting) and for other tasks. But I have
found out that it penetrates oak only by about 1/2". Will a neumatic
nail gun do a better job? What specs should I look at?

Thanks!

Aaron Fude

Posted to rec.woodworking

Qualified answer - yes.

However, I don't know what kind of gun you have and what size of nails you
want to use.

My old Porter Cable 18 ga. Pneumatic has driven literally thousands of 1/2"
to 2-1/4" brads. Mostly through Oak. That is what the pneumatic nailers
are supposed to do.

RonB

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi,

I had purchased an electrical gun with the idea of using it for making
frames (while the glue is setting) and for other tasks. But I have
found out that it penetrates oak only by about 1/2". Will a neumatic
nail gun do a better job? What specs should I look at?

Thanks!

Aaron Fude

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi,

I had purchased an electrical gun with the idea of using it for making
frames (while the glue is setting) and for other tasks. But I have
found out that it penetrates oak only by about 1/2". Will a neumatic
nail gun do a better job? What specs should I look at?

Any air driven gun will work. The electrics are, as you see, less than what
you'd expect. Junk is a good term.

You can buy a small nailer and compressor as a kit. Porter Cable well as
other have them.

Posted to rec.woodworking

You can buy a small nailer and compressor as a kit. Porter Cable well as
other have them.

If that is all you want it for, the little Senco is a sweet compressor; very
quiet and light.
Sadly, there is a price to that; it takes a while to inflate SUV tires with
it.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Toller" wrote in message

You can buy a small nailer and compressor as a kit. Porter Cable well as
other have them.

If that is all you want it for, the little Senco is a sweet compressor;
very quiet and light.
Sadly, there is a price to that; it takes a while to inflate SUV tires
with it.

If you didn't shoot them with the nails you wouldn't have to keep filling
them.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Here's a thought: If your'e using the nailer on an extension cord, try
using the shortest one you possibly can. I thought something went wrong
with mine for a bit, but it turned out it was the 50' of extension cord it
didn't like (voltage drop). Moved close to an outlet & used a 3' cord, and
it worked as I expected.

That said, there's not much can beat a pneumatic nailer. Most of the decent
ones need about 90 psi to work to spec for the type you're looking for. For
your purposes, you might want to look at "brad nailers" rather than plain
"nailers". 18 Ga brads from about 5/8" to 1 1/2" are pretty readily
available. Whatever you get, be sure it doesn't take a special "nail" or
"brad" that you can't get elsewhere.

Pop`

wrote:
Hi,

I had purchased an electrical gun with the idea of using it for making
frames (while the glue is setting) and for other tasks. But I have
found out that it penetrates oak only by about 1/2". Will a neumatic
nail gun do a better job? What specs should I look at?

Thanks!

Aaron Fude

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Pop`" wrote in message
Here's a thought: If your'e using the nailer on an extension cord, try
using the shortest one you possibly can. I thought something went wrong
with mine for a bit, but it turned out it was the 50' of extension cord it
didn't like (voltage drop). Moved close to an outlet & used a 3' cord,
and it worked as I expected.

I can vouch for this, my Arrow electric nailer works great when plug
directly into an outlet, I can nail 1 1/4" brads into oak, even sets it.
When using an extension cord it doesnt even sound right and barely drives
the nail. I even had the same problem with one particular outlet....

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 21 Aug 2006 20:47:27 GMT, "Pop`"
wrote:

Here's a thought: If your'e using the nailer on an extension cord, try
using the shortest one you possibly can. I thought something went wrong
with mine for a bit, but it turned out it was the 50' of extension cord it
didn't like (voltage drop). Moved close to an outlet & used a 3' cord, and
it worked as I expected.

you could buy a better extension cord too. There are cords made with
larger gage wire. And they cost more too. Shocking, eh?
Posted to rec.woodworking

Hi,

Thanks for all the responses!

Could someone describe the difference between a finish and a brad
nailer?

Thanks!

Aaron Fude