Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Cleaning goopy door

My cabin door, apparently, was sprayed/brushed with the same Behr oily
redwood stain that was put on the rough wood on the outside of the cabin.
This stuff works great on the rough wood, but apparently there was a coat of
some sort of clear finish on the door.

The door feels sticky to the touch, and after a year, feels exactly the
same. I figure I'll just have to pull the door and clean it with some type
of solvent. What would you suggest? All I want to do is take off the oily
outer coat, and not bother the clearcoat.

I am supposing that I would have to do it in small areas, and not get
anything really wet. I am also supposing that I would have to use some type
of solvent that will evaporate quickly to leave a dry finish. I also
ass-u-me that I should do VERY small test areas no matter what I try.

Suggestions?

Steve