Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Longevity of shop-built jigs

So today I brought out my shop-built tenoning jig that rides the table
saw fence and made a mess of some tenons. Brought over the square and
saw just how much that sucker could rock on the fence. Hmm, it sure
didn't do that a few months ago.

My miter sled that I made in the winter worked really great, until the
summer when the oak runners wouldn't even fit in the miter slots due
to the change in humidity. After planing them down with a shoulder
plane it just never slid quite as well as it did before, and I'm in
real trouble when winter comes back. My plywood zero clearance insert
wasn't flush with the table anymore either.

Do I just suck at jig building or is every one else quietly cursing at
the jigs they made a few months ago?

-Leuf