Posted to rec.woodworking

Default solid mahogany furniture finished with Tung oil

Hi to all of you experts! I have an old solid mahogony bedroom set
that was stripped and finished with Tung oil or Tung oil finish - no
stain. My daughter wants the furniture but would like it a little
darker to look more like her other antiques. It is "spool" furniture,
with all of the ins and outs. How difficult will this be for me, will
stripper work, or is sanding in my future? Can anything be applied
over the existing finish to darken it without stripping? (I hope, I
hope!)
Thank you! Mimi

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Mimi" wrote in message
My daughter wants the furniture but would like it a little
darker to look more like her other antiques.

It won't be difficult for you at all if you follow my simple method.

When I give a gift, it has no strings attached. If she wants it darker, let
her darken it. If she does not want it, then yard sale or an ad in the
local shoppers paper.

That was easy. .

Posted to rec.woodworking

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
"Mimi" wrote in message
My daughter wants the furniture but would like it a little
darker to look more like her other antiques.

It won't be difficult for you at all if you follow my simple method.

When I give a gift, it has no strings attached. If she wants it darker, let
her darken it. If she does not want it, then yard sale or an ad in the
local shoppers paper.

That was easy.

..
That would be easiest!
She has a 4 month old baby and so won't be getting into any refinishing
soon.They are moving here from a tiny NY apt. They will have to buy a
house and 2 cars, so gift furniture is great. It is in my garage where
it would be simple to work on it and they could move it in all done in
a few months.I would like to do this for her before they move.My
brother is the one who did the finishing and he has had it until
recently, and I've always thought it should be darker.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Find somebody with a spray gun and that knows how
to mix colors with shellac or lacquer. They will be
able to make it darker VERY quickly.

Go here and read this:

http://www.woodcentral.com/cgi-bin/r...es_575.sht ml

Refinishing is more art form than precise science sooooo
"choose wisely".

Mimi wrote:

It is in my garage where
it would be simple to work on it and they could move it in all done in
a few months.I would like to do this for her before they move.My
brother is the one who did the finishing and he has had it until
recently, and I've always thought it should be darker.

Big Savings On Furniture (Spl. in Office Furniture) betterhomeindia Woodworking 0 July 3rd 06 09:56 AM
Pure tung oil Ken Moon Woodturning 7 January 20th 06 11:48 PM
Best place to buy your new leather furniture Steve Home Ownership 0 November 20th 03 02:02 AM
Pro vs Hobbyist Furniture Makers charlie b Woodworking 44 November 19th 03 07:08 PM
Design - Cultural Factors charlieb Woodworking 4 July 28th 03 07:51 PM