Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Incra 5000 mitre sled --Calibration

Has anyone tried calibrating a incra mitre gauge by cutting and then
flipping the wood and then take a slice. If the mitre is at 90 degrees the
difference in thickness should be zero. Some how I think this proceedure
should be a lot more accurate than using a square.

Walter H. Klaus

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Walter H. Klaus" writes:
Has anyone tried calibrating a incra mitre gauge by cutting and then
flipping the wood and then take a slice. If the mitre is at 90 degrees the
difference in thickness should be zero. Some how I think this proceedure
should be a lot more accurate than using a square.

What I do is start with a 12-15 inch square. Mark one side (A) as a
reference. Use that side to cut the next side (B). Use (B) to cut
(C). Use (C) to cut (D). Put (D) against the fence and compare (A)
to the edge of the sled.

That multiplies any error by four so it's easier to see.

With your method, you have to assume that the two edges are parallel.
If the board isn't too wide, I'd use my jointer to square one edge,
and pass it on edge through the planer (square edge down).

coping sled plans? bdeditch Woodworking 5 January 31st 06 03:55 PM
MITRE SLED J T Woodworking 0 January 31st 06 08:44 AM
New member question on INCRA Ultra Lite OneThou Woodworking 6 January 11th 06 03:06 AM
Aluminum sled runner height wrt slot depth, and sled length wrt runners purchased bent Woodworking 0 December 16th 05 12:39 AM
Anyone use the Incra 5000 MiterSled yet? evodawg Woodworking 6 November 27th 05 08:15 PM