Posted to rec.woodworking
OneThou

Default New member question on INCRA Ultra Lite

Have been lurking for many months and got LOTS of good info and tips
from user posts, finally decided to join because I need something
Am considering purchase of this INCRA, and would use mostly for box
joints.
I don't understand when using the 90deg jig to cut box joints with a
router, how
the wood gets moved to the cutter. Does the 90deg jig slide along the
fence?
If yes, does it slide in a track and how much play is there with that
type of system.

Any user comments on how well this system works for box joints would be
appreciated.

TIA

Joe

Posted to rec.woodworking
David

OneThou wrote:
Have been lurking for many months and got LOTS of good info and tips
from user posts, finally decided to join because I need something
Am considering purchase of this INCRA, and would use mostly for box
joints.
I don't understand when using the 90deg jig to cut box joints with a
router, how
the wood gets moved to the cutter. Does the 90deg jig slide along the
fence?
If yes, does it slide in a track and how much play is there with that
type of system.

Any user comments on how well this system works for box joints would be
appreciated.

TIA

Joe

I use the Incra Twin Linear with fixture for dovetails and box joints.
It works perfectly as long as you don't miss locking in the fence by a
32nd! DAMHIKT. (Parallax can be a bitch, sometimes)

dave
Posted to rec.woodworking

Does the 90deg jig slide along the fence?

Yup.

If yes, does it slide in a track and how much play is there with that
type of system.

Hmmm. On the Incra Ultra system, which I have, the right angle fixture
has a channel that fits over the top edge of the fence, with nylon set
screws to adjust for zero play. I can't tell from pictures if the Ultra
Lite is the same.

I haven't done box joints, only DTs. Very happy with the results.

If you haven't already, go to woodpeck.com and get on their email list
for weekly specials. If you're patient, you could wait for a sale and
probably get the Ultra for about the same as the regular price on the
Ultra Lite

Posted to rec.woodworking
John

David wrote:
OneThou wrote:

[...]

Here's what I did to make it easier to read the scale. Most office
supply stores
sell a line magnifier - basically a plastic ruler with a semicircular
shape intended to magnify a line of text. I cut a short length and
fastened it with double sided tape to magnify the cursor on the scale -
no more guessing which 1/32 mark you are on.
John

Posted to rec.woodworking
David

John wrote:

David wrote:

OneThou wrote:

[...]

Here's what I did: 1) use a magnifier g

2) Scribed a line directly over the factory line, which is on the
underside of the clear plastic. Aligning the 2 lines eliminates the
parallax, but I still can barely see what I'm doing without the aid of
the magnifier. g

Dave

Posted to rec.woodworking
Ranger Paul

Joe,

I prefer my Woodsmith (extruded aluminum) box joint jig for the table saw (dado blade set) or router table (straight bit). This thing is 99 bucks at Woodcraft, just go to their web site and type in "box joint jig" in the search tool. This jig is way cheaper than an Incra joint making system. So if box joints are all you want to do, I would recomend the woodsmith jig, does a great job on the table saw, I can't testify about using it on a router table.

http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=3182

As far as joint making machines/incremental positioners go........I went with the Jointech system, Cabinet Maker System/router table. I use Bosch 1617EVS and 1618 EVS routers. In the Jointech table I use one very sweeeeet router lift plate, and it fits perfect in the Jointech table, its the JessEm Rout-R-Lift-FX, it's a direct drive lift plate for 2 - 2.25 HP routers, zero backlash, 3/4" solid phenolic, extruded aluminium lift mechanism with stainless lead screw, installs and levels in minutes, got mine on Amazon for 128 bucks, cant say enough good things about the JessEm lift plate.

Back to the Incra vs Jointech. I think both are good machines, most of the employees from Jointech used to work with Incra or vice versa, I get confused. Jointech is in San Antonio, Incra is in Dallas. Somewhere along the way I get the feeling they had a lovers spat and one company became two companies.

Two things made me go with Jointech, the people and the products.

When you have a problem with a part or whatever, they are easy to deal with. Very responsive. I have only had one problem with a product of theirs it was a fence stop. The one they initially shipped wasn't milled just right, I probably could have used it just fine, but it wasn't perfect so I called them expecting to get the run around. They said, "what's your address Paul," I asked if I needed to send the old one back first, they said "no that's ok, what's your address Paul." They just sent me a new one, no fuss, no return inspection of an old one etc. Its a good company with great customer service. Incra might be too, but you can't get better than Jointech when it comes to customer service.

Second reason I chose Jointech, their products;, I've dealt with them before when I bought their SmartMiter sled for the tablesaw, this thing is patented, best miter sled on the planet bar every other one incuding the dubby and the osborne and the kreg and the Incra and every other miter gauge / sled out there. Go to their web site and watch the video clips (3 of them) of what all this thing does and how its designed. It has one significant different compared to any other sled on the market, the right edge of the miter bar, stays zero dressed to the edge of the tablesaw blade at any angle. All other miter's pivot somewhere in the middle, this one pivots on the left side. To see all the advantages of this thing just go to their web site and look up the SmartMiter page.

http://www.jointech.com/smart_miter.htm

Ok so that experience was great, as far as the Jointech vs Incra on incremental positioner systems; things that swayed me to Jointech. Jointech uses a CNC machined stainless steel lead screw, Incra uses a plastic lead screw. Jointech has excellent DVD/Video instructions you can get for a few bucks more that are very helpful, owners manuals & literature...... top shelf, and again my past experience with the company and their products.

Dovetails, through dovetails, double dovetails, boxtails can all be done on the Jointech and similar stuff can be done on the Incra I'm sure. All I can say is my Jointech Cabinet Maker system has been amazing, I can produce the joinery for an absolutely perfect medium sized through dovetail box in about 10 minutes. And then make 10 more exactly like it in under 2 hours. It's an amazing machine. The purists might hate these machines, but I love em.

http://www.jointech.com/woodworking1.htm

http://www.jointech.com/complete_rou...rkstations.htm

Later Gator,

RangerPaul

"OneThou" wrote in message oups.com...
Have been lurking for many months and got LOTS of good info and tips
from user posts, finally decided to join because I need something
Am considering purchase of this INCRA, and would use mostly for box
joints.
I don't understand when using the 90deg jig to cut box joints with a
router, how
the wood gets moved to the cutter. Does the 90deg jig slide along the
fence?
If yes, does it slide in a track and how much play is there with that
type of system.

Any user comments on how well this system works for box joints would be
appreciated.

TIA

Joe

Posted to rec.woodworking
OneThou

Thanks for all the useful insight and info, much appreciated.

Joe