Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Planer leaving marks

On the weeked I took apart my 16" King planer and sharpened all of the
blades after installing them back into the ehad I ran some boards through
and noticed some deep marks on the right hand side of the board. After
clsoer inspection I noticed that these are coming from the feeder wheel.
Since the feeder wheel is spring loaded I'm wondering if I need to set the
blades out further? What am I missing?

Posted to rec.woodworking

"HotRod" wrote in message
On the weeked I took apart my 16" King planer and sharpened all of the
blades after installing them back into the ehad I ran some boards through
and noticed some deep marks on the right hand side of the board. After
clsoer inspection I noticed that these are coming from the feeder wheel.
Since the feeder wheel is spring loaded I'm wondering if I need to set the
blades out further? What am I missing?
If the marks were not on the right side before you sharpened the blades I
would suspect that you have not correctly adjusted the blades when you
reinstalled them.

I do not think you necessarily need to adjust them out farther as this may
cause the planer to stop feeding altogether.
After running the board through are both edges the exact same thickness?
Perhaps you blades are cutting deeper on one side than the other.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"HotRod" wrote in message
The boards are exactley the same. I'm just wondering if dropping the
blades would stop the feeder from digging in to much?

If you drop the blades you might create too much force against the feeders,
resulting in a board that will not feed.

You might want to insure also that the feed roller is parallel to the planer
table. My Delta lets you adjust feeder pressure and the bottom roller
height. I would consult the owners manual before making any drastic changes
other that rechecking blade height.