Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Finish question

First .. i have refinished hundreds of pieces and have used grain
fillers , lacquer and once & a while poly . I use spray equipment .

I have a very huge antique oak buffet here now that someone had
refinished . Very professional strip job was done and stain color very
good. I cant tell what was used for a finish . Whatever it was it had to
be wiped on because it almost looks dry and nothing on the surface .

Beyond figuring out what that ?finish is my problem is the grain was not
filled at all and collects dust in the pits . This piece has massive
carvings all over it making it impossible to do any kind of grain
filling .
Are there any techniques these days to possibly do this without having
to strip it again .
My first thought was to clean it real good and apply repeated finish
till its better .. i cant rub out those carvings .

Thanks .

Question - fine sanding polyeurathane finish Dave R. Woodworking 7 January 30th 06 05:27 PM
15 ga finish nailer question Bob Woodworking 4 December 17th 05 02:22 AM
Finish trim question Jack Woodworking 1 November 20th 05 10:17 PM
Question about what finish to apply to mahogany Dick Snyder Woodworking 7 October 29th 05 09:08 AM
"Dulling" a shellac finish Tim Schubach Woodworking 6 October 13th 03 06:22 AM