Posted to rec.woodworking

Default staining knotty alder for Tuscan look

We are changing over our 1970's moldings/casings, etc to knotty alder. Does
anyone have any suggestions on what staining 'color'...or mix of stains...
to use to achieve a Tuscan wood effect tone with alderwood ?

Thanks, Tim

Posted to rec.woodworking

"TimR" wrote in message
We are changing over our 1970's moldings/casings, etc to knotty alder.
Does
anyone have any suggestions on what staining 'color'...or mix of stains...
to use to achieve a Tuscan wood effect tone with alderwood ?

Thanks, Tim

I was in Tuscany a couple of months ago. A lot of trim was painted. Should
be easy enough to get a color match. Some wood was very dark and aged. Any
very dark stain would do if you like that. Of course, in some of the
churches it was gold leafed. It may take some time, but it will be the only
one in the neighborhood. Another possibility is to let it age a few hundred
years.

Aside from that, I don't know what else Tuscan wood would look like.

This may be of interest also
http://www.stephencooks.com/2005/08/..._roast_ch.html

advise on sanding alder panels. tor Woodworking 23 December 24th 05 02:52 AM
Knotty Alder? SonomaProducts.com Woodworking 6 February 26th 05 03:04 AM
staining Pine Mook Johnson Woodworking 5 February 14th 05 06:26 PM
looking for alder in the Cleveland Oh area... Lomi Woodworking 8 February 7th 05 06:00 AM