Posted to rec.woodworking

Default step molding

I recently replaced some indoor steps that were covered with wall to wall
carpet.. I used composite wood steps clad with an oak veenir which I
stained. The steps look fine but the seams between the steps and the
wallboard do not. The seams are very small but I was looking for a
suggestion as to how to dress them up better. The nose od the steps are
rounded of course so regular molding will not work. Any ideas would be
greatly appreciated.

Posted to rec.woodworking
bf bf is offline

tolbiny wrote:
I recently replaced some indoor steps that were covered with wall to wall
carpet.. I used composite wood steps clad with an oak veenir which I
stained. The steps look fine but the seams between the steps and the
wallboard do not. The seams are very small but I was looking for a
suggestion as to how to dress them up better. The nose od the steps are
rounded of course so regular molding will not work. Any ideas would be
greatly appreciated.

Normally, the stairway is built in a manner so you don't have the steps
butting against drywall (Check out a book at the library).

I really don't know what to recommend, other than painstakingly cutting
molding to fit around the steps, because I'm sure you don't want to rip
out what you've already done.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 2 Aug 2006 12:21:38 -0400, "tolbiny"
wrote:

suggestion as to how to dress them up better. The nose od the steps are
rounded of course so regular molding will not work. Any ideas would be
greatly appreciated.

If the nose hangs over let's say 1", you could make a molding 1 1/4"
tall and run it across the treads, cut out the nose the thickness of
your molding, turn the molding down the riser and continue all the way
down the stairs. The nose would look like it dies against your new
molding.
I know this would be a pain to do but given your situation, I can't
think of a fix that would be less of a pain.

Mike O.