Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Working with wenge

I'm making a 6X4 box out of wenge and yew. I'm using wenge for the
first time and, to put it simply, what a bitch. Unless I got ahold of
a length of stock that had been badly cured, this stuff seems to have a
very low moisture content which makes it "splintery" to the point where
you almost need gloves to handle it. If you saw it and then wipe your
shirt to get the bits off you find little slivers in your hand. And so
far it hasn't done any of my cutting tools any favors. I think it will
end up beautiful but I'm not certain I'll use it again.

FoggyTown

Posted to rec.woodworking

"foggytown" wrote in message
oups.com...
I'm making a 6X4 box out of wenge and yew. I'm using wenge for the
first time and, to put it simply, what a bitch. Unless I got ahold of
a length of stock that had been badly cured, this stuff seems to have a
very low moisture content which makes it "splintery" to the point where
you almost need gloves to handle it. If you saw it and then wipe your
shirt to get the bits off you find little slivers in your hand. And so
far it hasn't done any of my cutting tools any favors. I think it will
end up beautiful but I'm not certain I'll use it again.

FoggyTown

Sounds just like Winge to me. Yes it is splintery when fresh cut. And yes
it comes out very dark and beautiful.