Posted to rec.woodworking

Default plenum

Anybody ever heard of or done an HVAC plenum in plywood? Would/could it
work???

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , "Tim Taylor" wrote:
Anybody ever heard of or done an HVAC plenum in plywood? Would/could it
work???

I can't even begin to imagine that it would meet fire-safety codes...

--
Regards,

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 31 Jul 2006 22:03:50 -0400, "Tim Taylor"
wrote:

Anybody ever heard of or done an HVAC plenum in plywood? Would/could it
work???

Why? Constant hot air flow & THIN wood?
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Tim Taylor" wrote in news:_OOdnT4PS50YK1PZnZ2dnUVZ_t-
:

Anybody ever heard of or done an HVAC plenum in plywood? Would/could it
work???

For AC it might work. For heat? Forget it.

Posted to rec.woodworking

The air return in my old house was hardboard nailed between
floor joists. Plywood should be fine for A/C or return.

Tim Taylor wrote:
Anybody ever heard of or done an HVAC plenum in plywood? Would/could it
work???

Posted to rec.woodworking

"BobS" wrote in message
Tim,

Something your friend may want to consider is the possibility of mold
growing on the inside of that plenum. Unless it's coated, the wood will
absorb moisture and he will have the potential for some bad mold problems.

Bob S.

Bob, you know that's something I never thought of!! That's why I wanted some
others thoughts on the matter. It's like looking for something dropped in
the grass, extra pairs of eyes are always helpful! Thanks so much!!! And
thanks everybody else!! Metal it'll be.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Tim,

Read the 'answers' to date . . . a lot of validity . . . HOWEVER . . .

Half of my basement is finished {NO - I didn't do it - crappy idea and
crappy work}and the duct from the heater is 'covered' {boxed in}with the
wood paneling. When we bought the house it was gas-fired hot-air HEAT ONLY.
Later we replaced the old heater with a newer Heat & AC unit.

I am now in the process of 're-furbishing' out up-stairs bathroom. While the
'air out' grill is about a 4 x 11 inch rectangle, the ducting that feeds it
seems to be a 4in circular 'pipe'. For I don't know how many reasons
{'paranoid' being one}, I wouldn't want a 'hot air' duct of thin wood ONLY.
Some 'el cheapo' insulated 'Dryer Duct' - even the flexible kind - would do
for the actual 'transfer conduit'. It could then be 'disguised or
'supported' by the plywood.

Regards & Good Luck,
Ron Magen
backyard Boatshop

"Tim Taylor" wrote in message
Anybody ever heard of or done an HVAC plenum in plywood? Would/could it
work???

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Ron Magen" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks Ron. As I said, it's air only and in a garage and he has a ton of
plywood laying around. That's why we even thought of it. The thing is just
blowing straight out of the a-coil now hitting the ceiling and dispersing
air real random. I think that everyone has talked me out of doing it in
wood, mold being the biggest reason. And if he wants to cover the metal duct
with it, then he can have fun doing and get rid of some of the ply too.
It'll just be the width of the garage with a half dozen or so vents pointed
out to the working area, no other ducting would be needed. Thanks for the
tip!

"Tim Taylor" wrote in message
Anybody ever heard of or done an HVAC plenum in plywood? Would/could it
work???

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Tim Taylor" wrote in
m:

"BobS" wrote in message
Tim,

Something your friend may want to consider is the possibility of mold
growing on the inside of that plenum. Unless it's coated, the wood
will absorb moisture and he will have the potential for some bad mold
problems.

Bob S.

Bob, you know that's something I never thought of!! That's why I wanted
some others thoughts on the matter. It's like looking for something
dropped in the grass, extra pairs of eyes are always helpful! Thanks so
much!!! And thanks everybody else!! Metal it'll be.

I can't see where moisture or mold would be a problem. The air is dry,
cold, and that alone should keep things free of mold. I would not hesitate
to use plywood as a AC only plenum. I might paint or some other water
based coating for the inside but that is just to keep things clean on the
inside.

On the plus side you don't need to insulate the plenum as much (if at all)
if it is made of plywood.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"R. Pierce Butler" wrote in
. 1:

snip

I can't see where moisture or mold would be a problem. The air is
dry, cold, and that alone should keep things free of mold. I would
not hesitate to use plywood as a AC only plenum. I might paint or
some other water based coating for the inside but that is just to keep
things clean on the inside.

You don't think that there would be any condensation issues?

Molds seem to grow easily in many systems, if the HVAC folks are telling
any truths...

Patriarch,
thinking the metal isn't terribly expensive...
Posted to rec.woodworking

Patriarch wrote in
. 97.136:

"R. Pierce Butler" wrote in
. 1:

snip

I can't see where moisture or mold would be a problem. The air is
dry, cold, and that alone should keep things free of mold. I would
not hesitate to use plywood as a AC only plenum. I might paint or
some other water based coating for the inside but that is just to keep
things clean on the inside.

You don't think that there would be any condensation issues?

Molds seem to grow easily in many systems, if the HVAC folks are telling
any truths...

Patriarch,
thinking the metal isn't terribly expensive...

Metal is not cheap. Have you seen the price of copper lately? Go check
out copper wire at HD or Lowes.

When I put a furnace in my house it cost as much for the ductwork as it did
for the furnace and the furnace was very expensive. I did all the labor
installing the ductwork and furnace.

Condensation? There shouldn't be any. If you get condensation with wood
then the condensation with metal would be worse. Wood is an insulator and
metal a conductor.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"R. Pierce Butler" wrote in
. 1:

Patriarch wrote in
. 97.136:

"R. Pierce Butler" wrote in
. 1:

snip

[...]

The duct tubing in my CALIFORNIA home is aluminum, or galvanized steel.
An insulating blanket is wrapped around it.

I realize that we're different here in the Bay Area, and folks do things
their own way elsewhere. Copper, though, would be pretty 'special'.
The local newsies have run stories about lowlifes stealing copper from
construction sites for the recycling cash. And some fool tries to strip
a power junction box, getting partway before something struck him...

Nope. No copper here. YMMV.

Patriarch

Posted to rec.woodworking

Patriarch wrote in
. 97.136:

"R. Pierce Butler" wrote in
. 1:

Patriarch wrote in
. 97.136:

"R. Pierce Butler" wrote in
. 1:

snip

[...]

all metals have gone up in price. Copper is 4 times what it used to be a
year or so ago. Aluminum, zinc, steel and more have had increases too. I
looked at some copper tubing at Lowes two weeks ago. It was close to $5.00
per foot! A machinist across town told me that alumunim has had similar
increases. Steel and zinc and the rest are starting to go up too.