Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Countersink

I am trying to machine some aluminum and it involves countersinking some
holes. I have tried a variety of 3/4" countersinks and so far they all suck
rocks. I tried the Vermont American single flute and it didn't want to cut.
I next tried a Bosch and it chattered so badly even in wood as to be
unusable. I have a Stanley 1/2" that works great but cannot find anyone that
carries Stanley countersinks. Any suggestions for a multi flute countersink?
Posted to rec.woodworking

"R. Pierce Butler" wrote in message
I am trying to machine some aluminum and it involves countersinking some
holes. I have tried a variety of 3/4" countersinks and so far they all

suck
rocks. I tried the Vermont American single flute and it didn't want to

cut.
I next tried a Bosch and it chattered so badly even in wood as to be
unusable. I have a Stanley 1/2" that works great but cannot find anyone

that
carries Stanley countersinks. Any suggestions for a multi flute

countersink?

http://www.leevalley.com/hardware/pa...=3,41306,41328

No longer available on LV, but you maybe able to find another source.
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...at=1,180,42240

Posted to rec.woodworking

Pilot essential, speed slow, work held fast, most any HSS design will
yield acceptable results, Ford better than others if chamfer precut
with piloted cutter.
Sample in the http://patwarner.com/new_pix.html link done this way in 2
stages.

http://www.patwarner.com (Routing & drilling)
R. Pierce Butler wrote:
I am trying to machine some aluminum and it involves countersinking some
holes. I have tried a variety of 3/4" countersinks and so far they all suck
rocks. I tried the Vermont American single flute and it didn't want to cut.
I next tried a Bosch and it chattered so badly even in wood as to be
unusable. I have a Stanley 1/2" that works great but cannot find anyone that
carries Stanley countersinks. Any suggestions for a multi flute countersink?

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message
ups.com...
Pilot essential, speed slow, work held fast, most any HSS design will
yield acceptable results, Ford better than others if chamfer precut
with piloted cutter.
Sample in the http://patwarner.com/new_pix.html link done this way in 2
stages.

Agreed. Use oil or something similar as a lubricant in aluminum ALWAYS.
Aluminum becomes gummy on just about any tool at just about any speed sooner
or later.

Run the RPMs as slow as possible... "Play with" your downward pressure to
minimize chatter as needed. Pilot hole is absolutely necessary.

Ask in rec.crafts.metalworking for a more professional-soundign answer.

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.
(800) 871-5022
01.908.542.0244

V8013-R

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Joe AutoDrill" wrote in

wrote in message
ups.com...
Pilot essential, speed slow, work held fast, most any HSS design will
yield acceptable results, Ford better than others if chamfer precut
with piloted cutter.
Sample in the http://patwarner.com/new_pix.html link done this way in 2
stages.

Agreed. Use oil or something similar as a lubricant in aluminum ALWAYS.
Aluminum becomes gummy on just about any tool at just about any speed
sooner or later.

Run the RPMs as slow as possible... "Play with" your downward pressure
to minimize chatter as needed. Pilot hole is absolutely necessary.

Ask in rec.crafts.metalworking for a more professional-soundign answer.

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.
(800) 871-5022
01.908.542.0244

V8013-R

I have used my Stanley 1/2" countersink in wood and brass with no issues.
Even starting to countersink a hole in soft pine using the Bosch CS
resulted in horrible amounts of chatter.

Posted to rec.woodworking

I have used my Stanley 1/2" countersink in wood and brass with no issues.
Even starting to countersink a hole in soft pine using the Bosch CS
resulted in horrible amounts of chatter.

What RPM are you running when this happens? Is the tool new or at least
sharp?

I don't have the RPMs for countersinks memorized, but I'd guess that if I
had to simply walk up to a drill press (you are using a drill press and not
a hand drill, right?) and make a counersunk hole, I'd run it at 1/2 the
speed of drilling to start.

Rough, ver conservative drilling RPMs can be found on my site at:
http://www.multi-drill.com/drill-speed-chart.htm

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.
(800) 871-5022
01.908.542.0244

V8013-R

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Joe AutoDrill" wrote in

I have used my Stanley 1/2" countersink in wood and brass with no
issues. Even starting to countersink a hole in soft pine using the
Bosch CS resulted in horrible amounts of chatter.

What RPM are you running when this happens? Is the tool new or at least
sharp?

I don't have the RPMs for countersinks memorized, but I'd guess that if
I had to simply walk up to a drill press (you are using a drill press
and not a hand drill, right?) and make a counersunk hole, I'd run it at
1/2 the speed of drilling to start.

Rough, ver conservative drilling RPMs can be found on my site at:
http://www.multi-drill.com/drill-speed-chart.htm

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.
(800) 871-5022
01.908.542.0244

V8013-R

I chucked the Bosch bit in my drill press at the lowest speed and it
chattered very badly. I decided to try a variable speed hand drill and no
matter what speed i tried, it chattered. Wood, Brass, it doesn't matter.
I think I will have to order a set to get a good countersink that I can use
in my drillpress. I wish I could find a Stanley 3/4" countersink. BTW,
I clamped the pieces to the drill press using c clamps.
Posted to rec.woodworking

I chucked the Bosch bit in my drill press at the lowest speed and it
chattered very badly. I decided to try a variable speed hand drill and no
matter what speed i tried, it chattered. Wood, Brass, it doesn't matter.
I think I will have to order a set to get a good countersink that I can
use
in my drillpress. I wish I could find a Stanley 3/4" countersink. BTW,
I clamped the pieces to the drill press using c clamps.

You are on the right track. Sounds like the Bosch bit may either be dull, a
specialty bit for something else, or simply doesn't like you.

Much success.

Also, final thought on RPM... Some folks countresink up to 3X the diameter
of the inside hole... In that case, you may want to drop the RPMs even
further... i.e. a 1/4" hole with a 1/2" ctrsink will have the ctrsink run
at 40-50% of the hole drilling rpm. But... a 1/4" hole with a 3/4" ctrsink
will run at 33% or less the speed of the drilling rpm, etc.

When in wood, it usually doesn't matter as much unless you want a clean hole
and/or no burnt wood. I haven't met a wood worker yet who uses coolant
other than air...

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.
(800) 871-5022
01.908.542.0244

V8013-R

Posted to rec.woodworking

"R. Pierce Butler" wrote...
I am trying to machine some aluminum and it involves countersinking some
holes. I have tried a variety of 3/4" countersinks and so far they all

suck
rocks.

I've had good luck with this style countersink in wood, aluminum, and
plastic:

http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=5154

--
Timothy Juvenal
www.tjwoodworking.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

R. Pierce Butler wrote:
I am trying to machine some aluminum and it involves countersinking some
holes. I have tried a variety of 3/4" countersinks and so far they all suck
rocks. I tried the Vermont American single flute and it didn't want to cut.
I next tried a Bosch and it chattered so badly even in wood as to be
unusable. I have a Stanley 1/2" that works great but cannot find anyone that
carries Stanley countersinks. Any suggestions for a multi flute countersink?

G'day,
I gather the holes are already drilled ??. If not, drill the countersink
first with a drill bit the right size for the screw heads, than drill
the hole through the centre for the screw shank. The smaller bit will
self centre in the larger, countersink holes.

Regards
John

Posted to rec.woodworking

ORDER A GOOD SINBLE FLUTE FROM http://www.kbctools.com/
I HAVE SEVERAL THAT I USE ON ALL METALS, WOOD AND PLASTIC. I USE THEM ON
THE DRILL PRESS, HAND HELD, AND SOMETIMES IN AN OLD HAND CRANK, BREAST
DRILL.
WORKS JUST AS GOOD WET OR DRY.
DON'T GET THE CHEAP ONE YOU WILL HAVE THE SAME RESULTS YOU ARE HAVING NOW.

GOOD LUCK
WOODWORM
"R. Pierce Butler" wrote in message
. 1...
I am trying to machine some aluminum and it involves countersinking some
holes. I have tried a variety of 3/4" countersinks and so far they all

suck
rocks. I tried the Vermont American single flute and it didn't want to

cut.
I next tried a Bosch and it chattered so badly even in wood as to be
unusable. I have a Stanley 1/2" that works great but cannot find anyone

that
carries Stanley countersinks. Any suggestions for a multi flute

countersink?

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Hambone Slim" wrote in
:

"R. Pierce Butler" wrote...
I am trying to machine some aluminum and it involves countersinking some
holes. I have tried a variety of 3/4" countersinks and so far they all

suck
rocks.

I've had good luck with this style countersink in wood, aluminum, and
plastic:

http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=5154

--
Timothy Juvenal
www.tjwoodworking.com

Too small. I need a 3/4" countersink.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Upscale wrote:
"R. Pierce Butler" wrote in message
I am trying to machine some aluminum and it involves countersinking some
holes. I have tried a variety of 3/4" countersinks and so far they all

suck
rocks. I tried the Vermont American single flute and it didn't want to

cut.
I next tried a Bosch and it chattered so badly even in wood as to be
unusable. I have a Stanley 1/2" that works great but cannot find anyone

that
carries Stanley countersinks. Any suggestions for a multi flute

countersink?

http://www.leevalley.com/hardware/pa...=3,41306,41328

No longer available on LV, but you maybe able to find another source.
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...at=1,180,42240

Upscale has the pricier ones, and I have the cheaper model:

http://www.leevalley.com/hardware/pa...=3,41306,41328

That's the best c'sink I've ever used, and I'm sure it would cut nice
countersinks in aluminum too.

Tanus

--
This is not really a sig.
Posted to rec.woodworking

http://www.leevalley.com/hardware/pa...t=3,41306,4132
8

No longer available on LV, but you maybe able to find another source.
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...at=1,180,42240

Upscale has the pricier ones, and I have the cheaper model:

http://www.leevalley.com/hardware/pa...=3,41306,41328

That's the best c'sink I've ever used, and I'm sure it would cut nice
countersinks in aluminum too.

Tanus

not big enough.

Posted to rec.woodworking

R. Pierce Butler skrev:
"Hambone Slim" wrote in
:

"R. Pierce Butler" wrote...
I am trying to machine some aluminum and it involves countersinking some
holes. I have tried a variety of 3/4" countersinks and so far they all

suck
rocks.

I've had good luck with this style countersink in wood, aluminum, and
plastic:

http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=5154

--
Timothy Juvenal
www.tjwoodworking.com

Too small. I need a 3/4" countersink.

http://www.leevalley.com/hardware/pa...=3,41306,41328

Posted to rec.woodworking

Name wrote in :

R. Pierce Butler skrev:
"Hambone Slim" wrote in
:

"R. Pierce Butler" wrote...
I am trying to machine some aluminum and it involves countersinking
some holes. I have tried a variety of 3/4" countersinks and so far
they all
suck
rocks.

I've had good luck with this style countersink in wood, aluminum, and
plastic:

http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=5154

--
Timothy Juvenal
www.tjwoodworking.com

Too small. I need a 3/4" countersink.

http://www.leevalley.com/hardware/pa...=3,41306,41328

that could work. I will have to get one the next time I order from Lee
Valley.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"R. Pierce Butler" wrote...
I am trying to machine some aluminum and it involves countersinking some
holes. I have tried a variety of 3/4" countersinks and so far they all

suck

Countersinks are for sissies. Real men use a plug cutter and recess the
screws, welding the plug in place.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in news:VKOzg.11217$Ju.7756@trndny09:

"R. Pierce Butler" wrote...
I am trying to machine some aluminum and it involves countersinking some
holes. I have tried a variety of 3/4" countersinks and so far they all

suck

Countersinks are for sissies. Real men use a plug cutter and recess the
screws, welding the plug in place.

Hard to do that with 3/8" thick aluminum plus make the screw removable.
Posted to rec.woodworking
CW CW is offline

Get a bigger one.

"R. Pierce Butler" wrote in message

not big enough.

Posted to rec.woodworking

R. Pierce Butler wrote:
Tanus wrote in :

Upscale wrote:
[...]

That's what an ex girlfriend once said.

Tanus

--
This is not really a sig.

Correct Countersink angle for SPAX screws John2005 Woodworking 2 June 24th 06 03:48 AM
Inverse countersink? T i m UK diy 33 April 9th 06 08:27 AM
Countersink selection Spehro Pefhany Metalworking 5 February 19th 06 05:20 PM
Countersink problems in Aluminium David Metalworking 10 January 19th 06 02:03 AM
Countersink Kevin Doney Metalworking 5 November 1st 03 09:20 PM