Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Source for Pine

Greetings, I had a friend ask where he could buy some 3x3 pine approximately
4 ft in length. He said he went to a hardwood store in the city and they
didn't have it. I've seen lots of pine furniture and bedposts, so someone
has to sell it. Any suggestions? THX

Posted to rec.woodworking

Several of the independently owned lumber yards in our area offer clear or
"furniture grade" pine in addition to their construction grade lumber. It
is more expensive. The big-box stores also offer clear pine at about twice
the price of the independents.

Ron

"Your Name" wrote in message
t...
Greetings, I had a friend ask where he could buy some 3x3 pine
approximately 4 ft in length. He said he went to a hardwood store in the
city and they didn't have it. I've seen lots of pine furniture and
bedposts, so someone has to sell it. Any suggestions? THX

Posted to rec.woodworking

Greetings, I had a friend ask where he could buy some 3x3 pine
approximately 4 ft in length. He said he went to a hardwood store in the
city and they didn't have it. I've seen lots of pine furniture and
bedposts, so someone has to sell it. Any suggestions? THX

Suggestions? Sure - laminate smaller pieces or plane down larger ones.
A local cabinet shop or hardwood dealer may do the planing for you for
a price.
The posts on the bed frame I'm working on are 3 pieces of 5/4 oak
laminated together - final size is about 3 3/4 x 3 3/8.
Good luck,
Andy

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article ,
Your Name wrote:
Greetings, I had a friend ask where he could buy some 3x3 pine approximately
4 ft in length. He said he went to a hardwood store in the city and they
didn't have it. I've seen lots of pine furniture and bedposts, so someone
has to sell it. Any suggestions? THX

Walbrook Lumber out west North Avenue in Baltimore Md.

--

Larry Wasserman Baltimore, Maryland

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Your Name" wrote in message
t...
Greetings, I had a friend ask where he could buy some 3x3 pine
approximately 4 ft in length. He said he went to a hardwood store in the
city and they didn't have it.

He must not have looked very hard. Last time I was in the city they had
plenty. Left end of the rack, near the bottom.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 30 Jul 2006 16:21:54 GMT, "Your Name" wrote:

Greetings, I had a friend ask where he could buy some 3x3 pine approximately
4 ft in length. He said he went to a hardwood store in the city and they
didn't have it.

USA seems better here, but in the UK it's hard to buy good timber at
retail and it's _really_ hard to buy usable furniture-grade pine. You
can find dark "red deal" that's Scots Pine, but the "white deal" sold as
"pine" is almost always hemlock or spruce and very coarse figured. OK
for shopfitting, but no use for furniture.

Shop around. It's well worth it, for the price saving and even more so
for the better quality.