Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Big John

Every mornning at the mine, you could see him arrive.
He stood 6 foot 6, weighed 245.
Kind of broad at the shoulders, narrow at the hip.
And everybody knew you didn't give no lip to Big John.

Big John
Big John
Big Bad John
Big John

Nobody seemed to know where John called home
He just drifted into town and stayed all alone.
He didn't say much, kind of quiet and shy
And if you spoke at all, you'd just said hi to Big John.
Somebody said he came from New Orleans,
Where he got into a fight over a Cajun Queen.
And a crash and a blow from a huge right hand,
sent a Lousiana fella to the promise land.

Big John
Big John
Big bad John
Big John

Then came the day at the bottom of the mine,
when a timber cracked and men started crying.
Minors were praying, and hearts beat fast
and everybody thought they had breathed thier last
cept' John.
Through the dust and the smoke of this man made hell,
walked a giant of a man that the minors knew well.
Grabbed a sagging timber and gave out with a groan,
and like a giant oak tree he just stood there alone, Big John

Big John
Big John
Big Bad John
Big John

And with all of his strength, he gave a mighty shove.
Then a minor yelled out, 'theres a light up above!'.
And 20 men scrambled from a 'would be' grave
now theres only one left down there to save, Big John.
With jacks and timbers, they started back down,
then came that rumble way down in the ground.
And as smoke and gas smelched out of that mine,
everybody knew it was the end of the line, for Big John.

Big John
Big John
Big Bad John
Big John

Now they never re-opend that wortheless pit,
they just placed a marble stand in front of it.
These few words are written on that stand,
'At the bottom of this mine, lies one Hell of a man, Big John'

Regards,

Tom Watson

tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (real email)

http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1/
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Tom Watson" wrote in message

Big John
Big John
Big Bad John
Big John

.... and thank you, Jimmy Dean.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 6/21/06

Posted to rec.woodworking

Tom Watson wrote:

[...]

You might give some credit to Jimmy Dean, the sausage man.
j4
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 28 Jul 2006 20:47:01 -0400, Tom Watson
wrote:

[snip]
Minors were praying,

[snip]
walked a giant of a man that the minors knew well.

[snip]
Then a minor yelled out, 'theres a light up above!'.

Are you saying the miners let people under 21 down in the mines to
mine?

I did not know that.

--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

http://www.woodbutcher.net

care to correspond with you anyway.
Posted to rec.woodworking

LRod wrote in
:

Are you saying the miners let people under 21 down in the mines to
mine?

I did not know that.

I knew a family of Minors once.

Puckdropper

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

walked a giant of a man that the minors knew well.

Are you saying the miners let people under 21 down in the mines to
mine?

Perhaps the minors knew Big John in a biblical sense?

Jim Stuyck (ducking for cover)

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 28 Jul 2006 21:43:31 -0500, "Swingman" wrote:

"Tom Watson" wrote in message

Big John
Big John
Big Bad John
Big John

... and thank you, Jimmy Dean.

But Big John was the B side.

What was on the A side?

Regards,

Tom Watson

tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (real email)

http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1/
Posted to rec.woodworking

Tom Watson wrote:

But Big John was the B side.

What was on the A side?

"I Won't Go Huntin' With You Jake" ?

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

(Remove -SPAM- to send email)
Posted to rec.woodworking

"no(SPAM)vasys" wrote in message
Tom Watson wrote:

But Big John was the B side.

What was on the A side?

"I Won't Go Huntin' With You Jake" ?

Shouldn't that be "Dick"?

Posted to rec.woodworking

Tom Watson wrote:

But Big John was the B side.

What was on the A side?

"I Won't Go Huntin' With You Jake" ?

Shouldn't that be "Dick"?

No. It should be "I Won't Go Drivin' With You Ted".

Posted to rec.woodworking

Tom Watson wrote:

But Big John was the B side.

What was on the A side?

"I Won't Go Huntin' With You Jake" ?

Shouldn't that be "Dick"?

Perhaps you could do a remake. It'd be current.

P.S. the sub-title for the original is "(But I'll Go Chasin' Women)".

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

(Remove -SPAM- to send email)
Posted to rec.woodworking
Roy Roy is offline

On Fri, 28 Jul 2006 20:47:01 -0400, Tom Watson wrote:

Every mornning at the mine, you could see him arrive.
He stood 6 foot 6, weighed 245.
Kind of broad at the shoulders, narrow at the hip.
And everybody knew you didn't give no lip to Big John.

Just a few minutes ago on Prairie Home Companion there was a Mother - Daughter duo singing the
Alaska Wildlife Department's little handout on what to do if you confront a bear in the wild. It
was sung to the tune of "If I Were A Rich Man". They claimed it was verbatim out of the pamphlet.

SWMBO and I both damn near choked and I snorted snot on the keyboard (which is why it has taken me a
while to resume typing and post this). Wonderful song. Catch the rebroadcast if you can tomorrow.
It was late in the first half, or early in the second.

"If you meet a brown bear..dudda, dudda, dudda dum....."

Regards,
Roy
Posted to rec.woodworking

From the subject line, I was expecting another bathroom renovation thread.

B.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Roy wrote:
[...]

I am an avid listener to Keillor and caught the song. Absolutely wonderful.
mahalo,
jo4hn
p.s. you need more duddas there.
Posted to rec.woodworking
Roy Roy is offline

On Sun, 30 Jul 2006 09:22:14 -0700, jo4hn wrote:

Roy wrote:
[...]

I was tryin' to save bandwidth...... B^)

Posted to rec.woodworking

Tom Watson wrote:

But Big John was the B side.

What was on the A side?

"I Won't Go Huntin' With You Jake" ?

Shouldn't that be "Dick"?

Hee.. and change the B side to "Big Juan".