Posted to rec.woodworking

Default dana open immed.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_st/10...-price&x=4&y=6

Dana, if above doesn't come through as a link, then cut and paste to the
web page and go to this site. And I never want too hear bitching about
cost when we need tools
Posted to rec.woodworking

Dave writes:
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_st/10...-price&x=4&y=6

That wrench is about four feet long and weighs 86 lbs.

My dad works on a tugboat. The tug's propellor is 12 feet in
diameter, held on by a huge hex nut. To install the prop, they have a
crane hoist it in place, the nut is fitted, and a giant propane torch
(think "jet engine") heats the nut cherry red. Then a huge wrench is
put on, and a "team of strapping young men" beat on the wrench with
sledgehammers until my dad says "enough".

Makes the Ampco wrenches seem a little small.
Posted to rec.woodworking

DJ Delorie wrote:

My dad works on a tugboat. The tug's propellor is 12 feet in
diameter, held on by a huge hex nut. To install the prop, they have a
crane hoist it in place, the nut is fitted, and a giant propane torch
(think "jet engine") heats the nut cherry red. Then a huge wrench is
put on, and a "team of strapping young men" beat on the wrench with
sledgehammers until my dad says "enough".

After all that, who puts in the cotter pin?

Lew
Posted to rec.woodworking

Lew Hodgett writes:
After all that, who puts in the cotter pin?

After the nut cools and contracts on the threads, it just doesn't come
off. Making sure it *doesn't* fall off is my dad's responsibility as
the chief engineer on the tug, that's why *he* is the one that says
"enough" when they're beating on the wrench.
Posted to rec.woodworking

DJ Delorie wrote:

After the nut cools and contracts on the threads, it just doesn't come
off. Making sure it *doesn't* fall off is my dad's responsibility as
the chief engineer on the tug, that's why *he* is the one that says
"enough" when they're beating on the wrench.

That's why he gets the big bucks.

Figured they didn't use one, but just had to ask.

Bet it is a fun time when they have to remove it.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

Lew Hodgett writes:
That's why he gets the big bucks.

Yup.

Bet it is a fun time when they have to remove it.

Same procedure, but reversed.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 26 Jul 2006 21:26:30 -0400, DJ Delorie wrote:

Lew Hodgett writes:
That's why he gets the big bucks.

Yup.

Bet it is a fun time when they have to remove it.

Same procedure, but reversed.

The wrench beats on the strapping young men with sledgehammers until
your dad says "enough"?

-Leuf
Posted to rec.woodworking

Leuf writes:
The wrench beats on the strapping young men with sledgehammers until
your dad says "enough"?

They heat up the nut and beat on it until it comes loose.

There are probably days when my dad would prefer your procedure though :-)

Posted to rec.woodworking

Lew Hodgett writes:
That's why he gets the big bucks.

Yup.

Bet it is a fun time when they have to remove it.

Same procedure, but reversed.

The wrench beats on the strapping young men with sledgehammers until
your dad says "enough"?

No, until he says "hguone".

B.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Zz Yzx wrote:

"Gift wrapping not available for this item".

FORGET IT THEN. I want bows.

Have I got a deal for you.

Send me $2,500.00 and I'll make sure it is not only gift wrapped but
also has a bunch of K-Mart, blue light special bows, all over it.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

wow
anybody that has their nuts heated until cherry red, then has a couple
strapping young guy's beat them with a sledgehammer until he say's
enough should be paid big bucks.
ross

Posted to rec.woodworking
CW CW is offline

This is a good clue to why they are so expensive. They probably aren't stock
items. Likely they make one when you order it.

oups.com...

Dave wrote:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_st/10...-price&x=4&y=6

Dana, if above doesn't come through as a link, then cut and paste to the
web page and go to this site. And I never want too hear bitching about
cost when we need tools

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article t,
Lew Hodgett wrote:
DJ Delorie wrote:

My dad works on a tugboat. The tug's propellor is 12 feet in
diameter, held on by a huge hex nut. To install the prop, they have a
crane hoist it in place, the nut is fitted, and a giant propane torch
(think "jet engine") heats the nut cherry red. Then a huge wrench is
put on, and a "team of strapping young men" beat on the wrench with
sledgehammers until my dad says "enough".

After all that, who puts in the cotter pin?

Lew

I never worked on anything that large but in a previous life I wasa
construction and heaby equipment mechanic. I had my own combination
wrenches up to 2 1/2 inches and sockets up to 3. When we needed
anything bigger, we would take a piece of 3/4 or 1" steel plate, T8,
and burn a wrench from it with an oxy-acetylene rig.
--

Larry Wasserman Baltimore, Maryland