Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Turp vs. Thinner for Varnish?

Any thoughts on the relative merits of turpentine versus paint thinnner for
thinning a mixture of Tung Oil and Varnish? (Application is to new maple
kitchen cabinets).

Thanks.

Joe

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article ,
"Joe Befumo" wrote:

Any thoughts on the relative merits of turpentine versus paint thinnner for
thinning a mixture of Tung Oil and Varnish? (Application is to new maple
kitchen cabinets).

Between the two, I prefer the turpentine - as long as I'm going to use a
slow evaporating agent, I like the smell of turps better. You might
consider using VMP Naptha for a faster evaporating thinner - which is
what I go with 95% of the time. Faster thinner evap may lessen the dust
nibs.
--
Owen Lowe
The Fly-by-Night Copper Company

"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the
Corporate States of America and to the
Republicans for which it stands, one nation,
under debt, easily divisible, with liberty
and justice for oil."
- Wiley Miller, Non Sequitur, 1/24/05
Posted to rec.woodworking

Joe Befumo wrote:
Any thoughts on the relative merits of turpentine versus paint

thinnner for
thinning a mixture of Tung Oil and Varnish? (Application is to new

maple
kitchen cabinets).

SFWIW, the can of BLO I bought tells you to cut the BLO with turps.

Lew
Posted to rec.woodworking

Joe Befumo wrote:
: Any thoughts on the relative merits of turpentine versus paint thinnner for
: thinning a mixture of Tung Oil and Varnish? (Application is to new maple
: kitchen cabinets).

I once compared tung oil cut with the two, and it seemed that the mix
with turpentine (the real stuff) built to a sheen much fastere than the stuff cut
with mineral spirits. I've heard the same from a couple of other people.

-- Andy Barss