Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Taper for a Candle Holder ?

I'm thinking of making some candle holders out of some cherry.

How would you make a tapered hole to receive a candle?

Thanks,
Stoutman

---
www.garagewoodworks.com

Posted to rec.woodworking
CW CW is offline

If you're turning them, boring a tapered hole shouldn't be a problem. If you
are needing to drill the hole, reshaping a spade bit will work. Go slow.
"Stoutman" .@. wrote in message
. ..
I'm thinking of making some candle holders out of some cherry.

How would you make a tapered hole to receive a candle?

Thanks,
Stoutman

---
www.garagewoodworks.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

"CW" wrote in message
k.net...
If you're turning them, boring a tapered hole shouldn't be a problem. If
you
are needing to drill the hole, reshaping a spade bit will work. Go slow.

I don't own a lathe. I am going to try and replicate some antique (barn
style ?) candle holders. The original uses brass to receive the candle.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Stoutman wrote:
I'm thinking of making some candle holders out of some cherry.

How would you make a tapered hole to receive a candle?

This could be it...:
http://www.mikestools.com/875-2012-C...-Bit-12mm.aspx
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Stoutman" .@. wrote in message

"CW" wrote in message
k.net...
If you're turning them, boring a tapered hole shouldn't be a problem. If
you
are needing to drill the hole, reshaping a spade bit will work. Go slow.

I don't own a lathe. I am going to try and replicate some antique (barn
style ?) candle holders. The original uses brass to receive the candle.

7/8 taper to 3/4 is pretty standard, so I reground a spade bit to do the
job. There is also the option of candle cups of metal or wood. Some can
be recessed out of sight.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 17 Jul 2006 02:40:52 GMT, "Stoutman" .@. wrote:

I'm thinking of making some candle holders out of some cherry.

How would you make a tapered hole to receive a candle?

Thanks,
Stoutman

---
www.garagewoodworks.com

Well, if you start with a 3/4" hole, you have an excuse to buy one of these...
*g*
http://www.bealltool.com/products/th...ountersink.php

Mac

https://home.comcast.net/~mac.davis
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Stoutman" .@. wrote in message

"CW" wrote in message
k.net...
If you're turning them, boring a tapered hole shouldn't be a problem. If
you
are needing to drill the hole, reshaping a spade bit will work. Go slow.

I don't own a lathe. I am going to try and replicate some antique (barn
style ?) candle holders. The original uses brass to receive the candle.

In the absense of a lathe, bore a 3/4" hole, then rebore a 7/8" hole half
way down. Put a small brass spike in the bottom.

Dave

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 17 Jul 2006 02:40:52 GMT, "Stoutman" .@. wrote:

I'm thinking of making some candle holders out of some cherry.
How would you make a tapered hole to receive a candle?

Don't bother tapering the hole, the candle can cope with that.

Candleholders really should be lined with a non-charring non-flammable
liner. I make and sell candle sconces, I've done the experiments!
Although you probably couldn't set one on fire by deliberately trying
to, you'll easily get charring if you let the candle burn out. That's
either ugly to look at afterwards, or translates to angry customers
later.

So mine always use a copper cup to receive the candle. You can buy these
from craft shops at great expense, or you can use plumber's end caps for
22mm pipe (cheap, if you buy bagfuls from the right place).