Posted to rec.woodworking

Default rattle inside (I think) ridgid 6"" jointer motor

Hi,

I'm wondering if someone can coach me on the following problem.

A few weeks ago, in the middle of some jointing, my 6" ridgid jointer
(about a year old, not much used), started a rattle/knocking. I
completed the jointing job --jointing does not seem to be affected--
and started looking for the rattle. It appears to be coming from within
the motor (I can clearly feel the 'knocking' when I put my hand on the
motor enclosure while it's spinning; there is no play in the pulleys;
and the knocking/rattling does not tranfer to the cutterhead).

I really don't want to have to take the motor off and open it up,
partly because I would not know what I'm looking at :-)

I know this is a long shot, but I'm wondering if the 'knocking' that
I'm hearing is some sort of a 'standard' defect, something that someone
who understands these motors immediately recognizes.

Bottom line is that I don't know what to do? Have the motor checked out
somewhere?

Can you advise me?

Rene

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
[...]

First step is to remove the belt then turn it on. If it still rattles
you have isolated the problem to the motor. If it is still in warranty,
call Ridgid. If not in warranty, call a motor repair service or call the
repair service for Ridgid. They may well be able to determine the
problem by listening to it run or even talking to you about it.

--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

A lot of people mistake a short memory
for a clear conscience.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Default rattle inside (I think) ridgid 6"" jointer motor; Thanks!

Gerald, Leon and Leuf,

Thanks for the pointers; you gave me some directions to explore.

Rene

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
Gerald, Leon and Leuf,

Thanks for the pointers; you gave me some directions to explore.

Rene

Posted to rec.woodworking

Default rattle inside ridgid 6"" jointer motor SOLVED

Looks like Gerald's advise worked. After I removed the belt and ran
the motor, the motor was very, very quiet. In addition, I now noticed
considerable play on the motor pulley (with the belt still on, the
pulley seemed tight on the shaft). I retightened the pulley with the
hex set screw (hopefully it'll stay put now) and the rattle/knocking
disappeared.

Thanks for your help!

RR