Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Cherry sapwood and heartwood

I am only two years into woodworking as a hobby. A while ago I received my
first order of cherry, from my local hardwood supplier. I received 3 sheets
of cherry veneer ply, and about 100bf rough cherry, most 4/4 and some 8/4.
This is for a rather elaborate kitchen pantry and associated side cabinets.

I recently realized I had ordered insufficient ply, so I ordered two more
sheets (which pinches at $90/sheet). These second two sheets are from the
same manufacturer, but the veneer is very much different.

The first sheets are distinctly red toned, with little black flicks in
places. Really attractive wood. The second set of two sheets are cream
colored -- still of obvious of high quality -- and they too, are beatiful
sheets of wood. I am assuming the former is heartwood veneer and the latter
sapwood veneer.

Instead of taking the two sapwood sheets back, I am inclined to make the
shelves from these, and the casework from the reddish heartwood sheets. The
serendipitous result is going to look quite nice, with a wonderful contrast
produced for the cabinet interiors.

I will be using the rough-cut cherry lumber for face-frames, doors, edge
treatments, moldings, etc.

Now, my questions:

Having not yet milled any of the rough cherry, it appears most boards
contain both heartwood and sapwood. Should I be attempting to mill sapwood
surfaces for facing/banding the light colored sheet goods, and milling to
heartwood surfaces for all the exterior show parts? Are there resources on
the net that describe the process of doing this well (i.e. with little
waste)?

Do those of you who work with cherry every use sapwood on the show side?

Have I shortchanged myself with the second sheet goods order by being first
confused upon receiving it, then anxious, and then delighted?

/rick.