Posted to rec.woodworking
ray ray is offline

Default Cherry sapwood and heartwood

On Fri, 14 Jul 2006 12:26:48 -0400, "RickS" rick --dot-- s --at--
comcast --dot-- net wrote:

Do those of you who work with cherry every use sapwood on the show side?

I have built a number of cherry pieces and never have sapwood where it
shows. It is a matter of personal preference. I have been to a store
that sell "hand built Amish" furniture where heartwood and sapwood
were mixed indiscriminately. What I see is mismatch which I can't get
past and see the beauty of the wood or the craftsmanship of the
project. I thought it looked horrible. I asked the store owner about
it and he said for a 25% premium they would match the wood colors.
Some of my projects including some cherry can be seen at:

http://webpages.charter.net/ray93402.../woodwork.html

Have I shortchanged myself with the second sheet goods order by being first
confused upon receiving it, then anxious, and then delighted?

/rick.