Posted to rec.woodworking
Toller

Default Rousseau 3509 Router Plate?

I am building a new router table. My last one works fine, but has a number
of design flaws that I think will be corrected by giving in and using a
plate.

Anyone use the Rousseau? Most people on Amazon love it, but one person says
the slight crown makes it pretty useless. It was just one person, but it is
what I thought when I read about the crown. So if anyone has comments on
that, I would appreciate the input.

The Rousseau seems to be the cheapest of the commercial products. I have
tried to kick the habit of buying the cheapest one, but it is difficult.

Posted to rec.woodworking
CW

Haven't used it but if it's not flat, I wouldn't. People go the a great deal
of trouble building a flat table top (for a reason), why would you want to
put a bump in it?

"Toller" wrote in message
I am building a new router table. My last one works fine, but has a

number
of design flaws that I think will be corrected by giving in and using a
plate.

Anyone use the Rousseau? Most people on Amazon love it, but one person

says
the slight crown makes it pretty useless. It was just one person, but it

is
what I thought when I read about the crown. So if anyone has comments on
that, I would appreciate the input.

The Rousseau seems to be the cheapest of the commercial products. I have
tried to kick the habit of buying the cheapest one, but it is difficult.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Lew Hodgett

Toller wrote:

Anyone use the Rousseau?

I have that unit, simply because it was spec'd when I built the table.

It does the job.

Lew
Posted to rec.woodworking
arw01

Since Lee Valley's router table also has a slight crown, there must be
an advantage to it.

Personally I bought a woodhaven with their thick phenolic, and it's
flat.

Alan

Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon

"Toller" wrote in message
I am building a new router table. My last one works fine, but has a number
of design flaws that I think will be corrected by giving in and using a
plate.

Anyone use the Rousseau? Most people on Amazon love it, but one person
says the slight crown makes it pretty useless. It was just one person,
but it is what I thought when I read about the crown. So if anyone has
comments on that, I would appreciate the input.

The Rousseau seems to be the cheapest of the commercial products. I have
tried to kick the habit of buying the cheapest one, but it is difficult.

From most comments from various owners, this crown is normal. The may or
may not be a problem. If you are routing short pieces perhaps not much of a
problem If you are routing stiles for doors and the bit also cuts a grove
in the edge of the wood like most rail and stile bits do, this could present
a problem with inconsistent width cuts as the wood rocks up over the crown
and then back down to the table. If you want accurate cuts with consistent
results I would PASS on this type plate. Additionally if you make repeated
progressive cuts to produce raised panels I suspect your results would be
inconsistent.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Stoutman

"Toller" wrote in message
I am building a new router table. My last one works fine, but has a number
of design flaws that I think will be corrected by giving in and using a
plate.

Anyone use the Rousseau? Most people on Amazon love it, but one person
says the slight crown makes it pretty useless. It was just one person,
but it is what I thought when I read about the crown. So if anyone has
comments on that, I would appreciate the input.

The Rousseau seems to be the cheapest of the commercial products. I have
tried to kick the habit of buying the cheapest one, but it is difficult.

I had it for a week, but after hanging my PC7518 in it for a week or so it
flexed under the weight. I threw it in the trash and ordered an aluminum
one from Woodpecker. Never looked back!

Posted to rec.woodworking
bf

Toller wrote:
I am building a new router table. My last one works fine, but has a number
of design flaws that I think will be corrected by giving in and using a
plate.

Anyone use the Rousseau? Most people on Amazon love it, but one person says
the slight crown makes it pretty useless. It was just one person, but it is
what I thought when I read about the crown. So if anyone has comments on
that, I would appreciate the input.

I forget why they put the crown in it. (There is a reason)
However, you can knock out the innermost ring and not have a crown.
That's what I do. The only reason to put the innermost ring in, is if
you are routing a very small piece.

(There are two removable rings that snap into the router plate).

And I've used the Rossau router plate for about 10 years, and it works
fine.
I have a Hitachi plunge router on it now.

Posted to rec.woodworking
No

Toller wrote:
I am building a new router table. My last one works fine, but has a number
of design flaws that I think will be corrected by giving in and using a
plate.

Anyone use the Rousseau? Most people on Amazon love it, but one person says
the slight crown makes it pretty useless. It was just one person, but it is
what I thought when I read about the crown. So if anyone has comments on
that, I would appreciate the input.

The Rousseau seems to be the cheapest of the commercial products. I have
tried to kick the habit of buying the cheapest one, but it is difficult.

Toller - I have one and like it. It IS flat. I also got their template
for cutting the hole. It cost about $20 IIRC. I'll sell it to you for $5
plus shipping. The plate came with brass inserts to put into the table
and small plastic leveling screws to adjust the height. The inserts went
in fine but the screws wouldn't hold, they worked loose. I probably
could have crimped the threads or used some lock tight to hold them but
I didn't bother. I just used some masking tape to shim the plate to make
it perfectly even with my table.

I wrote up a detailed description of my table using the Rousseau plate
for someone over on woodnet. I posted it in their forum so you could see
the description and pictures.

Check out
http://www.forums.woodnet.net/ubbthr...c=#Post2474231
or
http://tinyurl.com/fbdkm

Let me know if you have any questions.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Tim Taylor

"No" wrote in message ...
Toller wrote:
[...]

Inviato da X-Privat.Org - Registrazione gratuita
http://www.x-privat.org/join.php

No, I just peeped at your pictures, very nice. I've just got one question
though. Why would you need the fence hold downs, in picture 5, any other
place beside where it is now? I may be missing the obvious here.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Vic Baron

"Toller" wrote in message
I am building a new router table. My last one works fine, but has a number
of design flaws that I think will be corrected by giving in and using a
plate.

Anyone use the Rousseau? Most people on Amazon love it, but one person
says the slight crown makes it pretty useless. It was just one person,
but it is what I thought when I read about the crown. So if anyone has
comments on that, I would appreciate the input.

The Rousseau seems to be the cheapest of the commercial products. I have
tried to kick the habit of buying the cheapest one, but it is difficult.

I've had mine for about 6 years. Hung a Hitachi M12V on it and the crown
essentially disappears and it is flat. Have had no trouble with cope/stick
joints or anything else ( that I can't attribute to user error).

Just MHO,

Vic

Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon

"Tim Taylor" wrote in message
m...

No, I just peeped at your pictures, very nice. I've just got one question
though. Why would you need the fence hold downs, in picture 5, any other
place beside where it is now? I may be missing the obvious here.

IF, your leveling screws are not all touching the bottom of the plate evenly
you can get vibration. It tool me a couple of years to finally use the hold
screws on my Bench Dog router table and there is much less noise.
Additionally, if the plate does not fit snug in then hole on the table top
the plate/router/router bit can move around slightly and cause irregular
cuts when using a fence as a reference.

Posted to rec.woodworking
No

Tim Taylor wrote:
"No" wrote in message ...
Toller wrote:
[...]

I have about 12-18" from the bit to the edge of the table. If I turn it
around I have the entire table of the saw as well to support a large
piece like a cabinet door.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Tim Taylor

"No" wrote in message ...
Tim Taylor wrote:
"No" wrote in message ...
Toller wrote:
[...]

See, I told you I was missing the obvious. It just didn't look like you
would be able to reach it from the other side, but then the picture don't
show everything. Thanks!!!

Posted to rec.woodworking
No

Tim Taylor wrote:
"No" wrote in message ...
Tim Taylor wrote:
"No" wrote in message ...
Toller wrote:
[...]

It just occurred to me - I think I could have drilled those holes in
such a way that I could have attached the fence 90 degrees to what was
shown in the pic too. Oh well, no more holes, just a thought for someone
else maybe.

A few other points for Toller. The plate is impossible to remove when
the dust collector is running. Kind of a PIA but something to keep in mind.

Also - Rousseau has this plate with a built in lift. I am getting one of
these some day, soon hopefully, and it should just drop in w/o table
changes or modifications.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Toller

"No" wrote in message ...
Toller wrote:
[...]

If I get it, I will take you up on the template. I read about a way to do
without a template, it seemed sketchy.
Thanks.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Darrell Dorsey

I used to have one, but didn't like it. I didn't like the crown and the
inserts were difficult to get out. I always felt like my piece was rocking
over the hump. I had some other complaints, but it's been a while since I
had it and the Woodpeckers plate has been so good.

I got a Woodpeckers aluminum plate and love it. Flat and solid, inserts are
easy to work with and they have a large selection. Plus you can get brass
inserts from Lee Valley for the PC hole.

Darrell

"Toller" wrote in message
I am building a new router table. My last one works fine, but has a number
of design flaws that I think will be corrected by giving in and using a
plate.

Anyone use the Rousseau? Most people on Amazon love it, but one person
says the slight crown makes it pretty useless. It was just one person,
but it is what I thought when I read about the crown. So if anyone has
comments on that, I would appreciate the input.

The Rousseau seems to be the cheapest of the commercial products. I have
tried to kick the habit of buying the cheapest one, but it is difficult.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Bill Leonhardt

Toller wrote:
I am building a new router table. My last one works fine, but has a number
of design flaws that I think will be corrected by giving in and using a
plate.

Anyone use the Rousseau? Most people on Amazon love it, but one person says
the slight crown makes it pretty useless. It was just one person, but it is
what I thought when I read about the crown. So if anyone has comments on
that, I would appreciate the input.

The Rousseau seems to be the cheapest of the commercial products. I have
tried to kick the habit of buying the cheapest one, but it is difficult.

I put one in a home-made table. I made my own template per the
included instructions and the installation was straight forward and
easy. I put in the brass threaded inserts and when the plastic screws
moved, I crimped the threads (as per the instructions) and the problem
went away.

I hang a PC 800 series router from the plate. This is not a
particularly heavy router however, the plate sags a small amount. I
like the plate, but if I was to do it all over again. I would get an
aluminum plate.

Bill Leonhardt

ps. I don't have a website (yet) but I could send you pictures.
Address above doesn't work. Write to me at: bill at leonhardts dot
com

Posted to rec.woodworking
LRod

On Mon, 26 Jun 2006 03:35:50 GMT, "Toller" wrote:

I am building a new router table. My last one works fine, but has a number
of design flaws that I think will be corrected by giving in and using a
plate.

Anyone use the Rousseau? Most people on Amazon love it, but one person says
the slight crown makes it pretty useless. It was just one person, but it is
what I thought when I read about the crown. So if anyone has comments on
that, I would appreciate the input.

The Rousseau seems to be the cheapest of the commercial products. I have
tried to kick the habit of buying the cheapest one, but it is difficult.

I'm always amused reading some of the reports of the Rousseau. I loved
the first one I bought and I love the other two I got subsequently. I
have three for the three separate routers I use in the table (one
Bosch 1615 and two Hitachi M12Vs).

I laugh when I hear complaints about the crown. If it's noticable, I
haven't noticed it. Can't be more than a few thousandths at most, and
certainly hasn't been an issue with any moldings I've run.

I laugh when I hear about "sag". It doesn't. I had my table in storage
for about five years. There was an M12V hanging on the Rousseau the
whole time. It looked and measured the same when I got it back into
the shop as it did when I put it in storage.

Finally, there are instructions for making a hole for it (or any
insert) on my website. No template needed; the Rousseau itself is the
template. Just a couple of router bits and a tiny bit of hand work and
you have a precise fitting hole. If one can't follow these
instructions I'm concerned about their success in woodworking
generally.

--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

http://www.woodbutcher.net

care to correspond with you anyway.
Posted to rec.woodworking
Mike in Idaho

I can imagine if you've had the pleasure of owning several that work
that you would laugh (I would too, except I own one of the ones with a
bad crown in it and have sworn to take it to work and run it in the end
mill to flatten it but haven't bothered yet -- been awhile since I
routed something in the table). My guess is that they have a bit of a
quality issue (some are fine, others aren't). I second the
recommendations to go aluminum. I think it was $20 extra when I was
shopping for mine a few years back -- whish I had gone that route.
Although now that I have a shaper I think I might just buy the adapter
for it and not worry too much about it anymore.

Mike

PS. Yes, it affected my tongue and groove cuts. They would come out
uneven on the ends, very annoying trying to get things assembled
flat...

LRod wrote:
On Mon, 26 Jun 2006 03:35:50 GMT, "Toller" wrote:

[snip]
I'm always amused reading some of the reports of the Rousseau.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Lew Hodgett

Subject

In the past, have made a couple using 1/4" Lexan that was obtained
from the drop off pile of a local plastics distributor.

Just lived with having only one size hole in the plate.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking
Stoutman

I laugh when I hear complaints about the crown. If it's noticable, I
haven't noticed it. Can't be more than a few thousandths at most, and
certainly hasn't been an issue with any moldings I've run.

I laugh when I hear about "sag". It doesn't. I had my table in storage
for about five years. There was an M12V hanging on the Rousseau the
whole time. It looked and measured the same when I got it back into
the shop as it did when I put it in storage.

Mine sagged. I even posted a picture of it in the past. I didn't find it
very funny though, I wasted my money on it.

You can't beat the Al plate by woodpecker.

Stoutman
http://www.garagewoodworks.com

Posted to rec.woodworking
Virgle

I purchases a piece of 1/4 aluminum plate at a junk yard. I maked out the
size and cut it out with a skill saw. I made several passes using a straight
edge guide. It worked out great and the price was right. I have to live with
a one size hole.
Virgle
nk.net...