Posted to rec.woodworking
Tom Gardner

Default Fine brass woodworking brushes

Since I seem to be on a posting jag here, I have always wanted to know what
is the use in woodworking for wire brushes that we make and sell exclusively
to the woodworking industry. It is a Beech "Bent-handle" and "Shoe-handle"
with very fine .006" Brass wire. The action is so soft that it tickles if
you run it on your arm. As far as I know, I'm the only manufacturer and I
started making them as specials. They are a bitch to make and not cheap and
my customers won't tell me what they are used for, they just say the brushes
are "Magic". I'm thinking some finishing operation

Here's a link to pictures of the brushes, just imagine the fine brass fill,
I don't catalog them as such ,as there is such a limited market and I don't
even know what it is.

http://www.ohiobrush.com/Pages/scratch.html

Posted to rec.woodworking

Tom Gardner (nospam) wrote:
Since I seem to be on a posting jag here, I have always wanted to know what
is the use in woodworking for wire brushes that we make and sell exclusively
to the woodworking industry. It is a Beech "Bent-handle" and "Shoe-handle"
with very fine .006" Brass wire. The action is so soft that it tickles if
you run it on your arm. As far as I know, I'm the only manufacturer and I
started making them as specials. They are a bitch to make and not cheap and
my customers won't tell me what they are used for, they just say the brushes
are "Magic". I'm thinking some finishing operation

Here's a link to pictures of the brushes, just imagine the fine brass fill,
I don't catalog them as such ,as there is such a limited market and I don't
even know what it is.

http://www.ohiobrush.com/Pages/scratch.html

This response may come through twice since there was a power hiccup at
the time I sent one of them.

I would strongly suspect that the best use for these brushes is for
something like refinishing. I use the softest brushes I can when I am
on the last lap of stripping a door or anything else. Imagine a door
that has been sitting with paste stripper on it for an hour or so so
that the wood is wet. After removing all the old finish possible, you
will still have bits of this and that tha didn't come out with your
normal strip procedure.

These areas will be dents, the inside corners of door panels, etc.
This is where a really soft metal brush and a wooden pic shine. With a
really soft brush you can loosen and remove the remaining finish
without scoring the grain.

I can also see them for refinishing passage door hardware since they
won't scratch the surface of the metal.

Where are you buying them?

Robert

Posted to rec.woodworking
Tom Gardner

snip
Where are you buying them?

Robert

Thanks, good info. I don't buy them, I make them.

Posted to rec.woodworking
CW

Fallow his link. He's making them, not buying.
http://www.ohiobrush.com/Pages/scratch.html

wrote in message
oups.com...

Where are you buying them?

Robert

Posted to rec.woodworking
RicodJour

Tom Gardner (nospam) wrote:
Since I seem to be on a posting jag here, I have always wanted to know what
is the use in woodworking for wire brushes that we make and sell exclusively
to the woodworking industry. It is a Beech "Bent-handle" and "Shoe-handle"
with very fine .006" Brass wire. The action is so soft that it tickles if
you run it on your arm. As far as I know, I'm the only manufacturer and I
started making them as specials. They are a bitch to make and not cheap and
my customers won't tell me what they are used for, they just say the brushes
are "Magic". I'm thinking some finishing operation

If your customers won't answer your questions about how they use the
brush, you may not want to know. They could be using them for perverse
sexual practices, illicit drug manufacturing, or money laundering
(cheap labor, no need for washer and dryer).

Posted to rec.woodworking
RicodJour

Tom Gardner (nospam) wrote:
Since I seem to be on a posting jag here, I have always wanted to know what
is the use in woodworking for wire brushes that we make and sell exclusively
to the woodworking industry. It is a Beech "Bent-handle" and "Shoe-handle"
with very fine .006" Brass wire. The action is so soft that it tickles if
you run it on your arm. As far as I know, I'm the only manufacturer and I
started making them as specials. They are a bitch to make and not cheap and
my customers won't tell me what they are used for, they just say the brushes
are "Magic". I'm thinking some finishing operation

If your customers won't answer your questions about how they use the
brush, you may not want to know. They could be using them for perverse
sexual practices, illicit drug manufacturing, or money laundering
(cheap labor, no need for washer and dryer investment).

Posted to rec.woodworking

Tom Gardner (nospam) wrote:

SNIP

What is LV?

SNIP

Tom, check this out. Is this about what you have? I am using brass
brushes a little larger than these that are really softm (I dont' know
about these), and I don't get much use out of them since they are so
soft, but they do exactly what I need to do, and they aren't really
that expensive.

http://tinyurl.com/gpaty

Your thoughts?

Robert

Posted to rec.woodworking
Upscale

"Tom Gardner" wrote in message
What is LV?

Lee Valley Tools
http://www.leevalley.com

Posted to rec.woodworking
Tom Gardner

wrote in message
oups.com...

Tom Gardner (nospam) wrote:

SNIP

What is LV?

SNIP

Tom, check this out. Is this about what you have? I am using brass
brushes a little larger than these that are really softm (I dont' know
about these), and I don't get much use out of them since they are so
soft, but they do exactly what I need to do, and they aren't really
that expensive.

Those are our standard #300-B, 3x7 row toothbrush style. we don't make them
but we cary them. We sell for about $.72 ea in boxes of 50. There are two
sources, foreign and domestic with an obvious quality difference. The ones
shown are domestic and the best are made by "Gordon Brush", you can tell by
the plywood handle. The ones I make are 4x19 row, 14" long x 1-1/8" wide,
brush part is 6" with 1-1/8" trim. All brush companies buy and sell to each
other.

http://tinyurl.com/gpaty

Your thoughts?

Robert

Posted to rec.woodworking
Tom Gardner

"RicodJour" wrote in message
ups.com...

If your customers won't answer your questions about how they use the
brush, you may not want to know. They could be using them for perverse
sexual practices, illicit drug manufacturing, or money laundering
(cheap labor, no need for washer and dryer).

Don't laugh, I was visited by Homeland Security because a Government
customer found "Mysterious white powder" on our brushes...we use corn starch
as a dry lubricant for the steel wire to make it feed beter. THAT was fun!

Posted to rec.woodworking
Lew Hodgett

Tom Gardner wrote:

All brush companies buy and sell to each
other.

Just like the vacuum tube manufacturers from a by gone era.

Lew
Posted to rec.woodworking
Lee Michaels

"Tom Gardner" wrote

Don't laugh, I was visited by Homeland Security because a Government
customer found "Mysterious white powder" on our brushes...we use corn
starch as a dry lubricant for the steel wire to make it feed beter. THAT
was fun!

Was he smart enough to figure out that corn starch is cheaper and works
better than cocaine?

Posted to rec.woodworking
Ignoramus4507

On Sat, 24 Jun 2006 21:46:53 -0400, Lee Michaels wrote:

"Tom Gardner" wrote

Don't laugh, I was visited by Homeland Security because a Government
customer found "Mysterious white powder" on our brushes...we use corn
starch as a dry lubricant for the steel wire to make it feed beter. THAT
was fun!

Was he smart enough to figure out that corn starch is cheaper and works
better than cocaine?

Idiots here stopped all train traffic for the entire evening,
recently, because some "bags with white powder" were found on
tracks. It turned out very quickly that the bags contained "stearic
acid" used to make candles. They fell of a train.

(a bonus homework question, why are some substances packed into
bags. Because bags are easy to handle by workers. Hardly can be used
for very hazardous stuff)

Stearic acid is as harmless as it could possibly be.

Despite that, no one wanted to take responsibility for just saying,
come on, let's put the gloves on, set them aside and resume traffic.

So the dumbasses called out hazmat crews, which have rules limiting
their working hours, so they also disrupted morning traffic removing
them.

I saw it with my eyes as I was on those stopped commuter trains, I
started walking along the tracks and saw the bags and laughed.

I once sold a military surplus incubator to a Kentucky farmer for
growing turkey, and received many calls from some govt agency about
that. Mind you, they sold that incubator to me. (it was, accidentally,
my worst deal ever, paid $167 for it and sold for 0.01)

Posted to rec.woodworking
J. Clarke

Lee Michaels wrote:

"Tom Gardner" wrote

Don't laugh, I was visited by Homeland Security because a Government
customer found "Mysterious white powder" on our brushes...we use corn
starch as a dry lubricant for the steel wire to make it feed beter. THAT
was fun!

Was he smart enough to figure out that corn starch is cheaper and works
better than cocaine?

If it was Homeland Security they were worried about anthrax, not cocaine.
If the analytical powers of their forensics operation are such that they
can't tell anthrax from cornstarch then God help us all.

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
Posted to rec.woodworking
Tom Gardner

I'll make some up and post a notice here, it'll be a number of weeks. I
often test-market new products and offer free samples for the return of a
questionnaire.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Jay Pique wrote:

I'd be interested in a version like a paint brush, with bristles about
2.5" long. I find it's easier to do detail work. I think LV sells
them, but they're pricey and a little stiff.

JP

Jay,

We carry a brass bristle brush that is like a paint brush. You can
scroll to the bottom of this link:

http://www.rlarson.com/Product/Brushes/index.html

Here is the brush alone:
http://www.rlarson.com/Product/Brushes/8394525.jpg

Our home page has a dealer lookup via zip if this is what you are
looking for.

Robert