Posted to rec.woodworking
Strike Penguin

Default Woodworkers in Switzerland?

Greetings,

I'm researching how the wood stocks for old Swiss military rifles were
finished, and I was wondering if anybody here has any woodworker contacts in
Switzerland. The rifles in question are old bolt-actions that were phased
out sometime in the 70's, and had walnut or beechwood stocks with a warm
yellow-orange shellac finish. How exactly the finish got on the rifles is a
big question among Swiss rifle enthusiasts, but so far I don't think anybody
from the Swiss rifle boards has thought to ask here. I imagine the person
I'd like to contact would be an older craftsman, almost certainly past
retirement age.

Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions!

Posted to rec.woodworking
Swingman

"Strike Penguin" wrote in message

I'm researching how the wood stocks for old Swiss military rifles were
finished, and I was wondering if anybody here has any woodworker contacts

in
Switzerland. The rifles in question are old bolt-actions that were phased
out sometime in the 70's, and had walnut or beechwood stocks with a warm
yellow-orange shellac finish.

Like this:

http://tinyurl.com/hdfnd

Wish I could help ... but your post brought back memories of traveling
through Switzerland and seeing the ubiquitous gentlemen in uniform in every
train station, lugging that very rifle, apparently traveling to and fro from
their period of national service. A very common sight in those days.

Perhaps if you e-mailed the guy who sold the one above, he could help.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 6/21/06