Posted to rec.woodworking
ronald Carney

Default am I being pedantic

Hi Redron hear.
I have just ordered some exotic wood from a suplier I will not yet name,
here in good old England.
The size stated was 6" 6" 3" when I recieved this it was 6" 6" 2 3/4" Pau
Amarillo or yellow wood to our American friends and lacewood the same size
also 1/4 inch short.
These woods cost £6 each; would you expect precise measurements or am I
being pedantic.
The point is if I paid these suppliers £2 less for each piece they would not
like it, so why should we put up with short measures. Redron

Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon

"ronald Carney" wrote in message
Hi Redron hear.
I have just ordered some exotic wood from a suplier I will not yet name,
here in good old England.
The size stated was 6" 6" 3" when I recieved this it was 6" 6" 2 3/4" Pau
Amarillo or yellow wood to our American friends and lacewood the same size
also 1/4 inch short.
These woods cost £6 each; would you expect precise measurements or am I
being pedantic.
The point is if I paid these suppliers £2 less for each piece they would
not like it, so why should we put up with short measures. Redron

Well, in the U.S. if the wood is still "rough cut" you would expect the
sizes stated. If the surfaces have been milled you would expect less on
width and thickness but at least the stated length.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Gordon Airporte

If wood were a manufactured product, sure, but since it's organic and
only holding the shape of a board thanks to a fair amount of trouble,
I'm less inclined to sweat it. They probably have a number of pieces,
each cut to maximize the individual board, so no two are exactly the
same and the stated measurements are averages.
Posted to rec.woodworking
MikeK

Sounds like you wanted bowl blanks (or other turning stock) of a
specific size. If I did not get what was advertised I would be very
unhappy. Return them and get the size they stated if possible. Don't
trust the vendor in the future unless you ask about exact size.

On Wed, 21 Jun 2006 15:04:41 GMT, "ronald Carney"
wrote:

Hi Redron hear.
I have just ordered some exotic wood from a suplier I will not yet name,
here in good old England.
The size stated was 6" 6" 3" when I recieved this it was 6" 6" 2 3/4" Pau
Amarillo or yellow wood to our American friends and lacewood the same size
also 1/4 inch short.
These woods cost £6 each; would you expect precise measurements or am I
being pedantic.
The point is if I paid these suppliers £2 less for each piece they would not
like it, so why should we put up with short measures. Redron

Posted to rec.woodworking
Rudy

I have just ordered some exotic wood from a suplier I will not yet name,
here in good old England.
The size stated was 6" 6" 3" when I recieved this it was 6" 6" 2 3/4" Pau
Amarillo or yellow wood to our American friends and lacewood the same
size also 1/4 inch short.

4 by 2's in North America are really 1.5" X 3.5" and Everyone is aware of
that. We don't get to pay less.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon

"Rudy" wrote in message

I have just ordered some exotic wood from a suplier I will not yet name,
here in good old England.
The size stated was 6" 6" 3" when I recieved this it was 6" 6" 2 3/4"
Pau Amarillo or yellow wood to our American friends and lacewood the
same size also 1/4 inch short.

4 by 2's in North America are really 1.5" X 3.5" and Everyone is aware of
that. We don't get to pay less.

That is correct if you are buying construction grade material.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Graham Walters

Was the supplier Craft Supplies?

If so, I've ordered quite a few pieces from them in the past, and all of
them have been supplied to the sizes stated?
Never had any problems with their customer service department, always very
helpful.

I would get back to your supplier and ask them to send you a new blank and
to collect the undersize one at their cost.

Let us know who the supplier is, and the outcome, so we can avoid them if
they don't rectify their error.

Graham

"ronald Carney" wrote in message
Hi Redron hear.
I have just ordered some exotic wood from a suplier I will not yet name,
here in good old England.
The size stated was 6" 6" 3" when I recieved this it was 6" 6" 2 3/4" Pau
Amarillo or yellow wood to our American friends and lacewood the same size
also 1/4 inch short.
These woods cost £6 each; would you expect precise measurements or am I
being pedantic.
The point is if I paid these suppliers £2 less for each piece they would
not like it, so why should we put up with short measures. Redron

Posted to rec.woodworking
ronald Carney

It was Ockenden timber somwhere in them welsh hills, he said he would refund
my money and I could keep the wood. not checked my account yet to see if I
got the refund, redron.
"Graham Walters" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking
ronald Carney

These are bowl blanks and you pay by the inch so you would expect correct
sizes. redron.
"Leon" wrote in message
. com...

"Rudy" wrote in message

I have just ordered some exotic wood from a suplier I will not yet
name,
here in good old England.
The size stated was 6" 6" 3" when I recieved this it was 6" 6" 2 3/4"
Pau Amarillo or yellow wood to our American friends and lacewood the
same size also 1/4 inch short.

4 by 2's in North America are really 1.5" X 3.5" and Everyone is aware
of that. We don't get to pay less.

That is correct if you are buying construction grade material.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon

"ronald Carney" wrote in message
These are bowl blanks and you pay by the inch so you would expect correct
sizes. redron.

Correct

Posted to rec.woodworking
Gus

ronald Carney wrote:
Hi Redron hear.
I have just ordered some exotic wood from a suplier I will not yet name,
here in good old England.
The size stated was 6" 6" 3" when I recieved this it was 6" 6" 2 3/4" Pau
Amarillo or yellow wood to our American friends and lacewood the same size
also 1/4 inch short.
These woods cost £6 each; would you expect precise measurements or am I
being pedantic.
The point is if I paid these suppliers £2 less for each piece they would not
like it, so why should we put up with short measures. Redron

Pedantic? Possibly.

Prolix? Definitely.