Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Taper Jig

I need to taper cut a strip of hardwood floor and I tried this jig
(http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?FamilyID=3184) and found it to be
quite imprecise. Does anyone have a better recommendation or perhaps a
taper cutting technique to share?

TIA

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article . com,
wrote:
I need to taper cut a strip of hardwood floor and I tried this jig
(http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?FamilyID=3184) and found it to be
quite imprecise. Does anyone have a better recommendation or perhaps a
taper cutting technique to share?

TIA

One of the easiest ways: Get a straight board (piece of plywood works
well) a little longer than the workpiece. Set your tablesaw fence to
the width of this board. Mark the cut line on the workpiece. Tack,
double-side tape, or otherwise affix the workpiece to the long board
such that the cut line aligns with the side of the board closer to the
blade, then run the whole thing through the table saw.

--

Larry Wasserman Baltimore, Maryland

Posted to rec.woodworking
Lew Hodgett

(
http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?FamilyID=3184) and found it to be
quite imprecise. Does anyone have a better recommendation or perhaps a
taper cutting technique to share?

Had an old Craftsman POS, with a broken pivot, that looked just like
the one you tried.

Threw it in the trash and built the one from the NYW along with a few
of my own upgrades.

Worked just fine, but could have bought one for less money.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking
Mort Stevens

Define imprecise?

I have one exactly like the one Woodcraft sells, and it pretty much
works as advertised.

Mort

wrote:
I need to taper cut a strip of hardwood floor and I tried this jig
(
http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?FamilyID=3184) and found it to be
quite imprecise. Does anyone have a better recommendation or perhaps a
taper cutting technique to share?

TIA

Posted to rec.woodworking
Swingman

wrote in message

I need to taper cut a strip of hardwood floor and I tried this jig
(http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?FamilyID=3184) and found it to be
quite imprecise. Does anyone have a better recommendation or perhaps a
taper cutting technique to share?

For one-off tapering, Larry's suggestion is pretty hard to beat. However, if
you need to cut tapers often, take a look at the one I finally settled on:

http://www.e-woodshop.net/Jigs.htm

.... scroll down to "tapering jig".

I fussed for years with many different types and have been very satisfied
with the accuracy, repeatability, and safety, of this one.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 5/6/06

Posted to rec.woodworking
Edwin Pawlowski

"Swingman" wrote in message

For one-off tapering, Larry's suggestion is pretty hard to beat. However,
if
you need to cut tapers often, take a look at the one I finally settled on:

http://www.e-woodshop.net/Jigs.htm

... scroll down to "tapering jig".

Just copied the photos for future use. I like the design.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Perfection In Wood

On 18 Jun 2006 17:03:17 -0700, wrote:

I need to taper cut a strip of hardwood floor and I tried this jig
(
http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?FamilyID=3184) and found it to be
quite imprecise. Does anyone have a better recommendation or perhaps a
taper cutting technique to share?

TIA

I use a shop-made version of this from time-to-time and it works quite
well.
I do notice some slight jamming but a good saw can over come this. I
use a 5hp with good tooling. If you are using a small capacity T/S the
inconsistencies might be due to the saw.

In any case use caution.

Posted to rec.woodworking
RayV

Swingman wrote:
wrote in message

For one-off tapering, Larry's suggestion is pretty hard to beat. However, if
you need to cut tapers often, take a look at the one I finally settled on:

http://www.e-woodshop.net/Jigs.htm

... scroll down to "tapering jig".

I use the same type and it works great with no need to *tweak* the
fence. Just place the cut line on the edge of the plywood and run it
down the miter slot.

Posted to rec.woodworking

One of the easiest ways: Get a straight board (piece of plywood works
well) a little longer than the workpiece. Set your tablesaw fence to
the width of this board. Mark the cut line on the workpiece. Tack,
double-side tape, or otherwise affix the workpiece to the long board
such that the cut line aligns with the side of the board closer to the
blade, then run the whole thing through the table saw.

This is a fantastic idea! I don't need to taper cut more than a single
piece, so it should do.

Thanks a bunch.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Had an old Craftsman POS, with a broken pivot, that looked just like
the one you tried.

Yep. I bought a Craftsman one and it had a wobbly pivot and unaligned
"legs". It's been returned without my being able to make a single cut
with it. It just boiled my blood to see such a poorly made piece of
manure.

Thanks.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Define imprecise?

I have one exactly like the one Woodcraft sells, and it pretty much
works as advertised.

Good for you. I myself couldn't handle such a heavy jig overhanging
about 2' from the table saw and feed the stock.

Thanks.