Posted to rec.woodworking
Steve B

Default mortise and tenon rails, furniture, etc

http://www.rockytoplogfurniture.com/?src=overture

I need some of this type of work. I can't find anyone in my area, and can't
get anyone on the internet to answer my questions about a piddly little 40
feet of railings.

I have seen many sites in Log Cabin magazines where the woodworking tools
are available for around $500 where a guy can go out in the woods, gather
the wood, and do his own.

Am I missing something here? Am I wanting too small a job for anyone to
fool with?

Should I just buy the cutters and do it?

Any of you guys tooled up for this and looking for a side ca$h job?

Steve

Posted to rec.woodworking
Ross Hebeisen

where is your area? i may be able to help. i'm in minnesota and do white
cedar stuff
ross

Posted to rec.woodworking
Steve B

"No" wrote in message ...
Steve B wrote:
http://www.rockytoplogfurniture.com/?src=overture

I need some of this type of work. I can't find anyone in my area, and
can't get anyone on the internet to answer my questions about a piddly
little 40 feet of railings.

I have seen many sites in Log Cabin magazines where the woodworking tools
are available for around $500 where a guy can go out in the woods, gather
the wood, and do his own.

Am I missing something here? Am I wanting too small a job for anyone to
fool with?

Should I just buy the cutters and do it?

Any of you guys tooled up for this and looking for a side ca$h job?

Steve

What exactly are you looking to farm out? Where are you located?

I need four rails, each approximately 10 feet long and 32" high. They will
look like ladders when finished. The centers of the spindles would be about
six inches. This is for a second story cabin porch, so it has to keep small
kids and medium sized dogs from squeezing through the spaces. On the ends
of each piece, it will look conical part way, and then cylindrical for a
bit. If you are not familiar with this, Google "tenon cutter", take the
second of third one, and it will show the cutters and the sticks they have
cut. I would like to have the bark removed by a drawknife, but it doesn't
have to be totally smoothed and finished. Once it is up, I will finish what
needs to be finished, and seal.

I DO NOT WANT THEM ASSEMBLED. I will do that. I am going to replace the
square porch support columns with actual trees, and will drill the necessary
holes in them, and mount them.

They will be shipped to either Cedar City, Utah, or Las Vegas, Nevada.

The component pieces would have to be selected straight pieces that are not
likely to warp a lot, and free from major defects. Top and bottom rails
would be 4" and spindles 2". Plus or minus a little.

Steve

Posted to rec.woodworking
No

Steve B wrote:
"No" wrote in message ...
Steve B wrote:
[...]

You want someone to put tennons on pieces to make a ladder. OK - Sorry,
cant help you. Cutters aren't $500 IIRC. See
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...80,42288,45539
and
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...at=1,180,42288

for one source - Yea, maybe $500 if you get all sizes and a draw knife.
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...at=1,130,43332

Any pictures of your work? You have posted a lot of questions, haven't you?

Posted to rec.woodworking
Steve B

"No" wrote

Any pictures of your work? You have posted a lot of questions, haven't
you?

Huh? Is there a limit on questions?

Steve

Posted to rec.woodworking
Ross Hebeisen

i have the tools and white cedar to do this project. just don't know
about shipping on the long stuff. the white cedar is light weight for
shipping.
ross
High Island Export co

Posted to rec.woodworking
No

Steve B wrote:
"No" wrote

Any pictures of your work? You have posted a lot of questions, haven't
you?

Huh? Is there a limit on questions?

Steve

No, just curious - Lots of folks here have answered a lot of your
questions. Some have blocked you so they no longer see your posts. I'm
giving you the benefit of the doubt. We all can learn from each other.
These types of groups work best when you give back when you can.

the rant escalates

Too often (Not you Steve) people ask a question, someone, or many people
jump right in with great answers, suggestions of follow-up questions and
the nothing from the original poster. Its frustrating and discouraging
to those that contribute. If someone asks about jointing on a router it
would be cool if, after they learned a tip from a response here, that
they tried it and reported back on what worked and what didn't. (Just an
example) Or, even better if pictures were posted and linked here of the
project that was complete because of help gleaned here.

Anyway - The more you feed the animals the more they will love you back.
The food is encouragement that their helpfulness is actually helping.

Posted to rec.woodworking
jtpr

I'm more concerned why he doesn't care about the small sized dogs...

-Jim