Posted to rec.woodworking
Wilson

Default Plug Cutting Slow Learner

I don't think I ever posted this, so here goes, in case it can help someone.
I finally got around to using the plug cutter I bought years ago. I'm
putting up a lot of door and window trim and don't like nails, so decided to
screw and plug everything. It's oak and hickory, so nails are pretty much
out anyway.

After boring into a board, breaking out plugs, and trying to cut them off
smoothly, I had a better idea.
I resawed a scrap of the same wood I was using to about 1/8" thick, then
bored it to get the plugs. They push right out of the cutter and are smooth
on their faces. I just tap them in the holes with a little glue and they
are smooth and even with the finished surface. I prefinish everything
before it's put up, so all the plug takes is a spot of varnish. If I use a
prefinished scrap to make the plugs, the final varnish is not really needed.

This process is so much better than the breaking out process shown in
pictures all over the place I don't see why I haven't heard of it. Enjoy
Wilson

Posted to rec.woodworking
Ray Mandeville

I bore all the plugs onto a suitable board. I then pass that board
through on the tablesaw set to an appropriate depth for the resulting
plugs. I've also done this on the band saw as well. I find this much
faster if many plugs are needed.

Wilson wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking
tom

Or resaw the board you've bored. This way you don't have to stop the
presses for each plug. Tom
Wilson wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking
Lee Gordon

After boring into a board, breaking out plugs, and trying to cut them off
smoothly, I had a better idea.
I resawed a scrap of the same wood I was using to about 1/8" thick, then
bored it to get the plugs.

I remember seeing Norm do this several years ago.

Lee

_________________________________
Lee Gordon
http://www.leegordonproductions.com

Posted to rec.woodworking
Lew Hodgett

tom wrote:
Or resaw the board you've bored. This way you don't have to stop the
presses for each plug. Tom

Add some masking tape before resawing and you keep the grain
orientation as well as not having to pick the little buggers up off
the floor.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking
Jay Pique

Wilson wrote:
"Lew Hodgett" wrote:
tom wrote:
Or resaw the board you've bored. This way you don't have to stop the
presses for each plug. Tom

Add some masking tape before resawing and you keep the grain orientation
as well as not having to pick the little buggers up off the floor.

Great!

Are popping plugs a problem if you use different woods - ie. ebony
plugs in a maple table?

Great thread by the way - I hadn't thought of the masking tape.

JP