Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to rec.woodworking
R. Pierce Butler

Default delta bandsaw blues

I need a little advice.

The open stand Delta 14" bandsaw that belonged to my father has a bad motor
on it. Not sure what happened in storage but it overheats in a hurry. It
sounds horrible too. Run it for about 30 seconds and you can smell the
motor insulation cooking. In that short period of time the motor case get
uncomfortably warm too. This occurs with the belt off and yes it spins
freely. The motor nameplate says: "HP - 1/2B" (????) Since this is a 1/2
horse motor maybe it is time to upgrade to a 1 horse. I see some Delta
band saws come with 1.5 hp motors. Should I go all out and get a 1.5 hp
motor or is that overkill?

I need new tires for the saw. Are the Delta tires the ones to get?

My father put a household light switch on the saw which really looks hokey.
Any recommendations for an suitable on-off switch? Should I order a new
one from Delta or is there something else that I can get that is better.

I see that there is a release lever version of that same 14" saw. Should I
get the parts to upgrade the beast? That spring loaded tensioner is a bear
to adjust everytime I go to change a blade.

Delta Homecraft 10" bandsaw - should I??? Keith Carlson Woodworking 4 April 5th 18 05:14 PM
FS: Delta 14" platinum Edition Bandsaw -- Also Carbide Blades [email protected] Woodworking 4 February 3rd 05 12:26 AM
Old Delta bandsaw questions Jonathan Woodworking 1 November 20th 04 10:27 PM
Surprising Review - Chinese Delta 14" Bandsaw 28-206/276 Greg G. Woodworking 25 December 23rd 03 03:59 PM
Delta 28-299B Bandsaw, minor gloat (I think) Forrest Chamberlain Woodworking 22 December 22nd 03 11:23 AM